Suggest a good summer recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambriel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm browsing around looking for something that sounds good as a nice summer recipe. It's nearly pool season, and I'm expecting folks to start swinging by my place expecting cool water and thirst quenching beer in the near future. :)

I'm thinking something like a Sierra Nevada or Dos Equis type beer but not finding too many recipes along those lines. I'd go for a good lager, but it's so warm in Georgia that it's not feasible right now, plus it wouldn't be done until nearly the end of summer. I'd like something that could be drinkable by say, late May.

Any suggestions? A pointer to a recipe would be awesome; I'm not really clever enough to formulate one myself. Oh, and I'd be aiming for an extract/partial mash. Don't have the gear for all-grain yet.

Thanks!

Hm, an 8% ABV beer might cause problems the way my friends drink off our kegs. I'll set that one aside as something to try when I get my new tap lines run though.

Thanks!

Oh, let's see. I really like a couple of recipes for summer. Dos Equis is a Vienna-style lager, so you won't be able to pull that off.

I think a couple of Biermuncher's recipes, especially the Cream of Three Crops or the Centennial blonde, would be perfect. I made a cream ale, similar to his three crops recipe, for a party coming up in mid- June. You could make it 4-5% ABV and have an easy drinker.

Any light hybrid would probably work. Check out our recipe database in that category. I'm not a wheat beer fan, but if you like them, those are easy and would be nice to have on hand.

Cream of Three Crops sounds great, but is there an extract equivalent? Searching the forums returns a very long thread starting with an AG. Can't quite manage that yet.

Well, how about something like this for Biermunchers Cream of three crops:

3 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 53.85 %
1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 15.38 %

0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 9.4 IBU

You could put the grain together, and mash (steep) it in a grain bag in your pot in about 3 quarts of water at 150ish for 45 minutes. Then lift the grain bag up in a colander, and pour 170 degree water over the grains to "rinse" it. Bring it up to your boil volume (three gallons total), and bring it to a boil. Add the hops. Add the DME and corn sugar with 15 minutes left in the boil (take it off the heat to add it, stir well, and put back on the burner).

You could use any clean, well attenuating ale yeast like S05 or nottingham for dry, WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 for liquid. Ferment on the cool side, like in the low 60s, for the most "clean" taste.

If you want, you could sub the hops without any issue at all. You could use all willamette, all crystal, or German hops like Tettnanger, or any noble hops actually.

That should be a reasonable facsimile of Biermuncher's recipe. If you happen to do this, make sure you report back so we can add an extract recipe to his LONG thread!

edit: Welp, I got brave. I was all set to pick up the stuff for the extract version above when I decided what the hell, I'll try making the jump to all-grain. I'm going to be going with Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde as a first try, since it gets such great reviews and seems very simple.

Just gotta finish up my mash tun tonight, and I think I'll be pretty much good to go!

Wow Cambriel, you went from looking for an extract brew to jumping into All-Grain! congrats!!! now you just built a mash tun, do you have the capacity to do a full boil? its a pretty steep downhill slide into AG madness... enjoy the ride!!

For a five gallon batch, yes. I've got a 6 gallon pot, so I should be able to manage that.

The mash tun is pretty much done, I've just got a leak to fix near the ball valve (the plastic cracked when I was removing the original stopper). A couple rubber washers and a little plumber's putty should do the trick.

This isn't really an appropriate thread for it, but I'm going to have to work out a way of heating adequate amounts of sparge water. I'm fairly certain I can reuse the same pot and set the water aside in a second cooler. Too much money is tied up in my keezer build right now to be looking for another boil vessel. Wish the local pub would have come through with those extra kegs.

Honestly, I was planning for this soon anyway. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right? :)

I am Jonesing for some Kiwit. It is a kiwi wit beer designed by Sam C. of Dogfish head.

.5 lb Torrified Wheat Grain

.5 lb 6 Row Pale Malt

2 Teaspoons Gypsum

6.6 lbs Wheat Malt Extract (LME) -65 minutes

1 oz. Tettnanger Hops (pellets) -60 minutes

1 oz. Williamette Hops (pellets) -10 minutes

.5 oz. Crushed Coriander -10 minutes

1 Teaspoon of Irish Moss (optional in my opinion) -10 minutes

4 lbs of fresh, peeled kiwi fruit (peeled and cubed) -end of boil

Yeast: Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463)

Starting Gravity: 1.052 Finishing Gravity: 1.014 Target ABV: 5%

Brew like a normal extract recipe. Add the kiwi at flameout. Stir wort and let kiwi steep for 20 minutes before chilling. Chill wort to pitching temp. Transfer wort and fruit into the fermentor, and pitch. It says to give it 15-20 days in the primary. When the kiwi's rise to the top and are almost white in color that will signify that they have been successfully stripped of flavor and sugar.

Or my AG recipe for a 4g batch:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Kiwit
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 lbs 7.1 oz Fruit - Kiwifruit (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 28.99 %
4 lbs 2.2 oz Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 34.78 %
3 lbs 7.1 oz Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 28.99 %
6.9 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.62 %
6.9 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.62 %
0.79 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
0.79 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
0.40 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.40 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463) [StartYeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 11.89 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.86 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 9.51 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

View attachment kiwit.bsm

Damn right Cambriel! I boil in a keggle, mash in a cooler, the original turkey fryer pot is used for heating sparge water and strike water, I just drain into the keggle, when sparging is done and collected I lift the keggle onto the fryer burner and start the boil. simple but a fair bit of lifting in my setup.

Siason! Modern ones are often pretty high gravity, but if you go traditional they are more of a light, dry session beer.

Damn right Cambriel! I boil in a keggle, mash in a cooler, the original turkey fryer pot is used for heating sparge water and strike water, I just drain into the keggle

I'm going to do something similar. I don't have a keggle (yet), so I'll probably be heating strike water in the aluminum pot while the mash is occuring. I'll aim high, then transfer to a second (non-mash tun) cooler where it can sit while I use my only pot to drain the mash tun.

At least, that's how I plan to do it in theory. This almost feels as intimidating as doing my first extract beer a few weeks back.

For a five gallon batch, yes. I've got a 6 gallon pot, so I should be able to manage that.

The mash tun is pretty much done, I've just got a leak to fix near the ball valve (the plastic cracked when I was removing the original stopper). A couple rubber washers and a little plumber's putty should do the trick.

This isn't really an appropriate thread for it, but I'm going to have to work out a way of heating adequate amounts of sparge water. I'm fairly certain I can reuse the same pot and set the water aside in a second cooler. Too much money is tied up in my keezer build right now to be looking for another boil vessel. Wish the local pub would have come through with those extra kegs.

Honestly, I was planning for this soon anyway. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right? :)

You're going to need a bigger pot than 6 gallons! You'll want to start with 6.5 gallons of wort, to boil down. You'll also need a burner that can get 6.5 gallons to a boil- most people can't do that on a stove.

If you have two 5-6 gallon pots, you can split the boil in half and do half in each one. Or, you can do a 3 gallon batch and see how that goes for you.

Damn, really? Well, I suppose I can look for a larger kettle, but those suckers are expensive. I was really hoping to brew this weekend. I could have sworn I read elsewhere than a 6 gallon pot would be fine for 5 gallons. That's what I've been using for full 5 gallon batches on extract.

edit: Actually my pot is 7.5 gallons. I was converting 30 quarts incorrectly. Probably explains why I've had no problems so far. Oops :)

Damn, really? Well, I suppose I can look for a larger kettle, but those suckers are expensive. I was really hoping to brew this weekend. I could have sworn I read elsewhere than a 6 gallon pot would be fine for 5 gallons. That's what I've been using for full 5 gallon batches on extract.

edit: Actually my pot is 7.5 gallons. I was converting 30 quarts incorrectly. Probably explains why I've had no problems so far. Oops :)

HAHA- ok, 7.5 gallons is ok. It still might boil over on you, so Fermcap is still a good idea. But that's what size my pot was, and it worked ok. I started with a tad over 6.25 gallons, and watched it like a hawk!

When you're ready, just do it! We're here to hold your hand (well, metaphorically anyway) and can answer any questions if you run into needing some help.

I just assume something is going to boil over at this point. The regulator on my burner doesn't work worth a ****, so it's either going full blast or it flames out. I have a very difficult time finding a happy medium.

You know, I bet I should see about replacing that. Would probably make life a lot easier.

I would go for a Blonde Ale or and IPA. I can vouch for the Bombshell Blonde Ale that is on here!!! Very good. Going to brew 10 gallons this weekend.

When you're ready, just do it! We're here to hold your hand (well, metaphorically anyway) and can answer any questions if you run into needing some help.

Speaking of handholding, I have a question. The mash tun I built is fairly large (it was an extra cooler). Given how light the grain bill is on Centennial Blonde, am I going to have a problem with the depth of the grain bed? What should I be aiming for?

buy a ten gallon cooler. when your mashing just heat up another batch add it then sparge as needed

Well, how about something like this for Biermunchers Cream of three crops:

3 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 53.85 %
1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 15.38 %

0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 9.4 IBU

You could put the grain together, and mash (steep) it in a grain bag in your pot in about 3 quarts of water at 150ish for 45 minutes. Then lift the grain bag up in a colander, and pour 170 degree water over the grains to "rinse" it. Bring it up to your boil volume (three gallons total), and bring it to a boil. Add the hops. Add the DME and corn sugar with 15 minutes left in the boil (take it off the heat to add it, stir well, and put back on the burner).

You could use any clean, well attenuating ale yeast like S05 or nottingham for dry, WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 for liquid. Ferment on the cool side, like in the low 60s, for the most "clean" taste.

If you want, you could sub the hops without any issue at all. You could use all willamette, all crystal, or German hops like Tettnanger, or any noble hops actually.

That should be a reasonable facsimile of Biermuncher's recipe. If you happen to do this, make sure you report back so we can add an extract recipe to his LONG thread!

Im going up to my LHBS to get this and try it. i will report back

Welp, I did my first all-grain today, a version of Biermuncher's Centennial Blond. I'm pretty satisfied actually. The whole process was a ton more fun than extract brewing; it actually *felt* like proper brewing as opposed to just... I dunno, making tea or something. Beersmith estimated my OG at 1.044, and I measured 1.041 after pitching yeast, so all in all I'm pretty happy with the first batch.

I'm excited to see how it turns out in a couple weeks!

This is a Belgian Style Summer Ale that I have had good luck with:

1 3.3 lb. can Amber Plain Malt Extract
1 3.3 LB. can Wheat Plain Malt Extract
1 lb. Flaked Wheat
1 lb. Pilsner Malt
0.5 lb. Dextrine (Carapils LB 9.4 - 13.6)
4 gr. Paradise Seeds
1.5 oz. Hallertau Hop pellets
White Labs Belgium Wit Ale Yeast WLP400

Crush Grains and add flaked wheat to muslin bag
2 gallons water - steep at 150-170 for 30 minutes
Remove grains, add liquid malts plus 1 oz. hops
Bring to boil for 30 minutes
Add 0.5 oz hops and boil for 15 minutes
Gently crush paradise seeds, add to wort
Remove from heat and steep 5 minutes
Cool 65-75, add water to 5.5 gallons
Pitch yeast
SG 1.046 - 1.050
FG 1.012 - 1.016

Welp, I did my first all-grain today, a version of Biermuncher's Centennial Blond. I'm pretty satisfied actually. The whole process was a ton more fun than extract brewing; it actually *felt* like proper brewing as opposed to just... I dunno, making tea or something. Beersmith estimated my OG at 1.044, and I measured 1.041 after pitching yeast, so all in all I'm pretty happy with the first batch.

I'm excited to see how it turns out in a couple weeks!

Sounds great! Make sure you let us know how it comes out!

I just did the extract version of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. OG came out right on point. Tasted and smelled great. I added a whirlfloc tablet about 15 minutes before the end of the boil (I boiled for 70 minutes) and the sample in my hydrometer holder (like a graduated cylinder) already started clearing out nicely.

It's going to come out REAL nice as a summer blonde ale.

Try it!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I used 1.05 lbs of carapils too.

So my first all grain beer was ready for drinking this weekend.

Oh. My. God.

Biermuncher's blonde recipe really is the ****. We hopped it up just slightly, but it came out like liquid gold. I bottled up a six pack and took it over to my dad's, and even he loved it (and he's a dyed in the wool, Coors-only redneck).

I'm so glad I jumped the gun and brewed a second batch before the first was ready to drink. This stuff is going to go fast.

Sadly, yes! His exact words were "this has a really strong flavor, but it's pretty damn good". Strong flavor, for a blonde ale.

I just shook my head and laughed.

I would look around for an Oberon Clone. If your feeling like playing around I would suggest trying a lemon-coriander Wit. I made one and put it into secondary with some lemons and when I bottled I backsweetened with some Crystal light lemonade mix. If you like beer and lemonade its perfect.

Back