OG = 1.135 at 86 degrees!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamukaiser

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this one.... its a Wheat Beer, 3 Floyds Clone... 5 Gallon Partial Extract.

Ingredients:

1 lb Caravienne Malt (steeped 30 min)
3 lbs Weizen DME
3 lbs Muntons Light DME
2 oz of Amarillos Hops (at various times)
6 grams Muntons Ale Yeast (rehydrated)

I took mt OG reading @ 86 degrees.. it was 1.132, added .0003 for temp. adjustment... and that would be 1.135...possible 17% alcohol?!?

Is this WAY out of whack?

Will my yeast handle it?

Plugging in all your info into beersmith gives me an OG of 1.053. I'm guessing your reading is way off

After thinking about it, I took the sample from the 2 gallons of wort BEFORE I added it to the additional 3 gallons (to make 5 total) ... maybe that is why it is so high?

If I would have taken it from the "diluted" mix my reading might be more in line...

thoughts?

thanks

Shamu

Absolutely. That was the first thing I thought when I read the title. A fun experiment is to leave the hydrometer in the wort as you add the extra water and get a feel for how much the SG drops.

Thanks.... appreciate the quick responses and helpful advice.

Do I dare open the primary tomorrow and take a sample for OG?,,, or should I just wait it out until the perking stops... and then take samples 3 days in a row to confirm fermentation is concluded?

Again, thanks!

Shamu

I'd wait about 3 days after the air trap stops bubbling and then take measurements if you are worried about it. Are you going to rack to a secondary? If so, then just do that after 7-10 days and take a measurement then. There aren't a whole lot of fermentable sugars in your recipe and the yeast ought to do its work if you leave it for a few weeks (maybe 2 in secondary after the 1 in primary). If you don't plan on doing a secondary, just leave it in the primary longer. You'd probably see the SG level off after a week or so, but the beer will clear up if you leave it another week or two.

Just let it go. All the calculations are in line. Extract batches have very predictable OGs, so go with the calculations. Do take readings to determine if fermentation is complete, though.

TL

Thanks again.... and yes, I plan to rack to a secondary, so I guess I'll take an OG then... and go from there.

Its bubblin' away....

Shamu

Back