Plastic bungs for Hoff Stevens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Any idea if these things are reusable? I bought 10 of them since they are dirt cheap. I'm wondering though if I'm just supposed to slice them up to remove them, or if there's some way to yank them out intact.

I used to be in charge of cleaning these beasts for a very small micro years ago. We would drill a hole in them using a paddle bit and pry them out, another brewer told me he used a slide hammer. Either way, the bungs were trashed when removed.

Where there is a will there is a way. It you want something to reuse the plastic bungs might not cut it but might be able to pull it off with a black rubber stopper.

Drill a hole in the center, thread a stainless eyebolt with a nylon washer and stainless nut on each end, insert and tighten the nut causing the stopper to expand, same logic behind those little sanding manderals on a dremel. To remove, loosen nut and pull out via the eye bolt.

Good info. :mug: I think I might give that rubber stopper option a go when I run low on these plastic bungs. Maybe I'll even find a good silicone stopper for a long-term fix.

I had to wrestle with removing my first plastic bung yesterday. Of course it popped into the keg so it was fun trying to chase it down and get it out. :rolleyes: Next time I'll drill a 1/2" hole and try to use a J-bolt I have to yank it out.

At least these plastic bungs seem to seal pretty well. I know the wooden bungs are hit or miss.

Back