Helles Bock MY Bock (Americanized Maibock)- Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager
Yeast Starter
1 Liter+
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days at 50
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days at 55
Additional Fermentation
Diacetyl rest at 60+ degrees
Steep (mash) in 1/2 gallon water at 155 for 20 minutes:

1 lb carapils malt
1 lb toasted 2 row (350 for 10 minutes)
4 oz German light crystal malt (20L)

Strain and sparge well with 170 degree water. Bring boil volume up to 2.5 gallon and bring to boil. Remove pot from heat and add:

6.6 lb Ireks German light malt extract
1.5 lb Extra light DME

1.5 oz Perle pellets (8.5% AA) (60 minutes)
2.0 oz. Mt Hood pellets (3.2% AA) 15 minutes
1 oz Mt hood (flame out)

1 tsp Irish Moss (15 mins)

Cool to fermentation temp and pitch large starter. Ferment at 50 for 12-14 days, then raise temp to 60-68 for the diacetyl rest. Then, rack to secondary. Slowly lower temperature 5 degrees per day to 35, and lager for 4 weeks.

Is there anyway to get around adjusting the temps so much on this. As it is right now my fridge is dual purpose for kegs and fermentation?

Is there anyway to get around adjusting the temps so much on this. As it is right now my fridge is dual purpose for kegs and fermentation?

Not really. Depending on the yeast you choose (I like German bock yeast), you have a pretty narrow temperature range. I think most lager yeast strains are in the 48-55 degree area.

You can lager at a higher or lower temperature, though. If your kegerator is at 40, for example, you can easily lager at that temp. To my mind, it won't be as "crisp" as a lager done just above freezing, but it's a decent compromise.

Oh okay, well this will be my first lager so I was/am a little confused. My fridge is set at 42 all the time, so could I lager this at that temp the whole time? By the way.... LOOOOVE the avatar ;)

In early 2009, I made it like this:

12 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 92.31 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
4.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %

And adjusted the hops to 25 IBUs. I was out of Mt. Hood, so I did this:

1.75 oz Hallertauer (60 min) Hops 23.8 IBU
0.15 oz Hallertauer [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 1.0 IBU

I don't know if it was the same or not- I can't remember now, and my notes from 2006 (when I made the extract recipe) are lacking a bit! But they were both very good!

Hey Yooper I don't understand what this means. Are you avoiding the diacetyl...or adding it?
A diacetyl rest is a period of raised temperatures during which the yeast will digest latent diacetyl which is an unwanted byproduct. So, to answer your question, it is not so much avoiding as it is consuming or converting and certainly is not adding diacetyl.

I'm looking for a proven Bock recipe as well, but am mainly just posting to say how, as of the moment I write this, Yooper's recent change of avatar seems unfair to Deuce.

I'm looking for a proven Bock recipe as well, but am mainly just posting to say how, as of the moment I write this, Yooper's recent change of avatar seems unfair to Deuce.

I change it all the time. Maybe next time it will be a famous hockey player. Or just plain old me in a dominatrix outfit. You never can tell!

Sorry to re-zombify this old thread, but I'm planning to give this recipe a shot. I'm probably going to PM-ify it, so it'll be somewhere between the extract and AG versions you've posted. (I'll probably also swap out hops).

One question for you. The recipe header in the first post shows 38 IBU, while in the AG post you say you adjusted to aim for 25. When I punch your extract recipe into my brewing calculator, it predicts about 27 IBU. The question is: is the 38 IBU in the header a typo, or did you really decide to up the IBUs?

(The follow-up question if you did go up to 38 IBU is, of course, why am I only getting 27 out of my software? It's predicting the OG as 1.067, which is pretty much a match. The color is coming out as 9, but I think that's because the color contribution of the toasted malt is not very accurate, so I'm not really worried about that.)

Thanks!

Sorry to re-zombify this old thread, but I'm planning to give this recipe a shot. I'm probably going to PM-ify it, so it'll be somewhere between the extract and AG versions you've posted. (I'll probably also swap out hops).

One question for you. The recipe header in the first post shows 38 IBU, while in the AG post you say you adjusted to aim for 25. When I punch your extract recipe into my brewing calculator, it predicts about 27 IBU. The question is: is the 38 IBU in the header a typo, or did you really decide to up the IBUs?

(The follow-up question if you did go up to 38 IBU is, of course, why am I only getting 27 out of my software? It's predicting the OG as 1.067, which is pretty much a match. The color is coming out as 9, but I think that's because the color contribution of the toasted malt is not very accurate, so I'm not really worried about that.)

Thanks!

In the recipes that I've done most recently, it's about 25-27 IBus.

How was the resulting beer? Does it resemble any specific commercial Doppelbock?

Back