Help me customize my kit brew- Midwest "Hop Scare" IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacBruver

Reaction score
This will only be my second brew, but since IPA's are my current favorite style of beer, I'd like to make this one a bit more custom. Here's the recipe:

6 lb Briess Gold LME
2 lb light DME
1 lb. Caravienne

Hops:
0.75 oz Warrior 60 min
0.5 oz Amarillo 30 min
0.5 oz Amarillo 15 min
2 oz Cascade 5 min

Predicted OG: 1.058-1.062
Predicted FG: 1.010-1.014
~6.5% ABV

Yeast: going to be using Wyeast California Ale V, and I will definitely be doing a starter for this one.

This is on its way to being a DIPA- 6.5% ABV, and IBU's around 55. If I wanted to give this one a nice hard shove over the edge, how should I go about it? More fermentables, of course.. I'd like more malt instead of just corn sugar, but I don't want to overdo it.

And what about dry hopping? I really really like grapefruity, floral hop flavors and aromas, and I'm not looking for more bitterness at this point.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I think either the cascades or amarillo would give you the flavors you are looking for as far as dry hopping goes.... both are described as floral and citrusy in joy of homebrewing...

Ok, I think i'm just going to reserve some of the cascades to dry hop with. Yooper's DFH 60-minute clone is actually real similar to this brew, as far as the hops go... simcoe and amarillo dry hopped instead of the cascades, but the amounts are really close.

I'm definitely going to try to get this one up to 7% ABV or so, I think it will benefit the style quite well.

Having brewed the traditional IPAs I found myself enjoying more of the hop flavor and aroma than the bitterness. I brewed my WPA and the rest is history.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/gumballhead-inspired-wpa-92976/

I've done two more batches since this one (on the same day) and I have 18 of them left after only a month in the bottle. It's cheap and easy to make and everyone who comes around likes it, even the guy who drinks strictly BMC who was over on Friday. As soon as I have a primary I'll be making more. The only lament is that I can't grow the two varieties of hops.

Interesting... I will have to try that some time. SWMBO, who detests IPAs but loves wits and other wheat beers might actually like this.

I'm going to use the extract out of this kit though, so it will end up being a traditional IPA... but I like your hop schedule, I think I will shift to something very similar for this batch. I'm the same way about hops.

Back