blow off tubing just blew off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendlodc

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a Belgian Saison using White Labs Belgian Saison 1. I pitched a 700 ml starter yesterday at 7:00 pacific. I was in the other room working and heard the explosion - bam my blow off tubing attached to one of those orange carboy caps blew off... yeast all the way to the ceiling. What did I do wrong? I was quick to act... swabbed the lip with alchohol and replaced the setup. How much should I be worrying about contimination during that short exposure time? Maybe I should have went with the 1/2 inch tubing, I'm using the smaller size attached to an orange carboy cab with a stopper between the tubing and cap... what do others use for their blow off tubing rig?

mendlodc said:
I'm fermenting a Belgian Saison using White Labs Belgian Saison 1. I pitched a 700 ml starter yesterday at 7:00 pacific. I was in the other room working and heard the explosion - bam my blow off tubing attached to one of those orange carboy caps blew off... yeast all the way to the ceiling. What did I do wrong? I was quick to act... swabbed the lip with alchohol and replaced the setup. How much should I be worrying about contimination during that short exposure time? Maybe I should have went with the 1/2 inch tubing, I'm using the smaller size attached to an orange carboy cab with a stopper between the tubing and cap... what do others use for their blow off tubing rig?

Yeah, those little tubes do nothing for a serious blowoff. Here's mine:

4914-blowoff1.JPG

IIRC, it's 1.25" OD vinyl tubing cut to length from Lowe's. It fits snugly into the carboy with no further modification. This is what you need---the racking-tube-attached-to-carboy-cap setup gets clogged up in no time.

RDWHAHB. It'll be just fine most likely. Get a fatty tube like that guy did though for the next time

Are those 6 gal carboys? (i.e. will your method work on 6 gal carboys?)

mendlodc said:
Are those 6 gal carboys? (i.e. will your method work on 6 gal carboys?)
Yes... It will work on a 6gal. carboy.

After this...
5-14-07001.jpg

5-14-07002.jpg

I switched to this... 1 1/4" from Lowes,
5-14-07003.jpg

Works great!!!

:mug:

yep, that's what my ceiling looked like.... hope i didn't spoil the batch, guess i was lucky i was home to tend to it fast.

mendlodc said:
yep, that's what my ceiling looked like.... hope i didn't spoil the batch, guess i was lucky i was home to tend to it fast.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the batch... I'm drinking mine as I type this... And it's amazing!!! :drunk:

:mug:

man the White Labs Saison I yeast is a REAL strong fermenter - fun to watch when it's not exploding.

LMFAO,I think my wife would just kick my ass clean up over my shoulders if a batch of mine did that,not to mention the ridicule I'd receive as I was removing said blow-off from the ceiling with a Q-tip for punishment.... I haven't used any starters up to this point so fermentations haven't taken off that violently. Shane

Put the blow off hose in the toilet and flush often. HAHAHHAHA

OMG what are you brewing any how? Thats cool...

Is this the right kind of tubing?

Detailed Description:
Essential for most primary fermentations, a blow-off system provides a closed system to prevent contamination yet allows excess foam and pressure to vent from the fermenter. 1" i.d. 1.25" o.d. plastic blow-off tubing, buy as much as you need by the foot.

mendlodc,

That's what I just bought from Home Depot for $1.70 a foot. Should fit a 5 gallon carboy from what I've read but I haven't tested it yet, no empty carboys. :)

Back