First Attempt at Flander's red ale. quesitons...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire_studios

Reaction score
I am attempting my first Flander's red ale as the title states and have a few questions. Using the recipe in "brewing classic styles" and the Wyeast Roselare strain I have ten gallons of Flanders going in the back room of my house. No temp control. Here is my question. I pitched a package of Roselare into each carboy (6.5 gallon). The initial fermentation kicked off pretty lively and quickly. within 12 hours of pitching. Went much like a regular Sacro ferment and then stopped about 5 days into ferment. It has been about three weeks now and it is super calm with no build up on top like I was expecting to see. Just some soapy looking bubbles here and there. No airlock action at all. My question is as follows: Should I rouse the carboys? Seems like there is nothing going on and I am wanting to see the bugs kick it. Or is this normal? Please shed some light on this strain. New to it and just want some piece of mind. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Josh

I never used the roselare blend, but with all sours, it starts quick and then slows down to a snails pace for the next 12 months. Just let it be.

Mine's acting exactly like yours. Not much on the surface other than during the initial ferment. It's been about 5 months now and I haven't touched it, and will not before the 12 month mark.

It's pretty cool where it sits now (50s), so I hope to see more action during the summer.

I would personally pitch some dregs from a couple commercial sours into each of them. The roeselare doesn't tend to get things sour enough on its own. What you are describing however sounds pretty familiar to me. Relax, don't wory, drink a commercial sour and pitch the dregs into your carboys :D

Ok cool I will relax. Just curios to see the pelical form. I have a bottle of grand crew in the house I will pop it open and add it to the mix. After I enjoy it first of course

Just leave it be. Roselare peaks 12-18 months in. I've used in 10+ batches and if you let it work it will come out great. Want it more bretty? Need more funk? Make a starter or use it in subsequent generations. Eventually it'll be so much brett its like drinking a barnhouse. If you want more authentic Flanders Red, stick with the roselare without the dregs.

A pellicle may never form and it's no big deal if it doesn't. My sours usually don't get a pellicle until I take a sample to decide what kind fruit of fruit I will add if any.

Nothing is to be harvested from Rodenbach. Believe me, I've tried.

Really?! I tossed some fresh wort into a bottle this weekend and it has a nice healthy krausen on it. Waiting until next weekend to sample it and see what I got.

Rodenbach is pasteurized. Guessing you got an infection. (Not to be a pessimist) If you do find something great, let me know.

Back