Leaky wort chiller for sale advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richfei

Reaction score
I need some equipment advice

I was looking for a wort chiller online and I saw a counterflow wort chiller advertised locally for $10. Supposedly it has a small leak. I don't know where. I haven't contacted the seller, but will ask

Is this something that can be easily fixed ? Any concerns ?

Also was planning to make a mashtun from one of the various threads on 10Gal coolers, but I also saw this from the seller for $150. Is this reasonable at all ?

http://postimage.org/my.php?gallery=8ts6pmy

Considering the price of copper these days, one would think if the leak was easily fixable the seller would have done so and then charged the going rate for similar CF chillers.

Beyond that obvious concern, if the leak is due to a construction kink somewhere in the copper tubing, for most people that would be Game Over, and $10 (+ S&H) down the drain.

A CF chiller is the last thing your vulnerable wort touches before hitting the fermenter. Risking a batch to a sketchy chiller is just one more of too many red flags for me...

Cheers!

Back