Building a 1bbl for $1600

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb

Reaction score
Took an AV cart for 10 bucks on craigslist and drilled a hole in the top. I used tin snips or flight sheers w.e you call them cut a hole big enough to drop an old turkey fryer burner I had laying around in it. A buffer wheel on a drill and automotive body work kit smoothed it all out. Then, some high heat engine spray paint up near the top where the burner is, and For 16 bucks I had an elevated burner stand on wheels. boom! (rated for like 250 lbs)

427969_407343582664302_33883582_n.jpg

Then I took that barrel up top there (got on craigslist 150) and had a welder friend cut the top out for $20 bucks. Bought the weldless stainless valve on amazon from homebrewstuff.com for I think $35, and stockpot lid from a restaurant supply store for about $20. So for under $250 I had the stand and HLT. The elevation lets me fly sparge with only a pump coming off the mash tun and gravity from the HLT.

182499_407343765997617_1440155059_n.jpg

I cheated for the mash tun and got myself a birthday present with the blichmann boiler maker. However I waited until my state came up in Austin Homebrew's state sale and saved 10% wich was a lot. I think they also were doing like 6.99 shipping (also saved me a metric @ss ton) This was the most expensive piece at $750 wich is a steal for the 55gal MLT with the false bottom and all.

431663_407348199330507_1474179810_n.jpg

Boil kettle is from Bubba's Barrels one of the HBT vendor's less than 500 and I put it up on garden bricks over a bayou classic ($70 on amazon)

302732_407179296014064_1384785588_n.jpg

2x30lbs Propane tanks $10 at a yardsale, and 2 x 15 Gallon demijohns out of the HBT classifeds for $35. I traded some old car speakers for a stainless steel mash paddle. bringing the Grand total to right around 1650 for a 1bbl system.
That is until I upgrade to a conical...

644035_407343335997660_1849388573_n.jpg

Forgot to include $100 march pump in the original post so actually like 1750

All that stainless sure is pretty, but that's alot of weight on that AV stand, 31 gallons is around 260 lbs, plus the weight of the barrel. Personally I wouldn't wanna be standing near that HLT when it's full, even if it wasn't on wheels. Cool gear though.

All that stainless sure is pretty, but that's alot of weight on that AV stand, 31 gallons is around 260 lbs, plus the weight of the barrel. Personally I wouldn't wanna be standing near that HLT when it's full, even if it wasn't on wheels. Cool gear though.

Wellll rated at 250 doesn't mean that's really all it can hold haha it's more of a recommendation. Haha but no on a more serious note, really if you saw it with that thing even full, its not stressed at all, and very sturdy. Trick to is I dont need to have 30 gallons in it hardly ever, heat your strike water put it in the MLT then you have an hour mash to get the next 20 Gallons or so up to 170 before you need to sparge, wich isnt hard on that burner. We ran some batches this weekend on it and no one was scared to get near it haha

Who is that? What is that? Did I just get spammed on homebrewtalk? If I'm interested in what email you at abanay Gavin?? A date? Those tanks? I don't get it...

Who is that? What is that? Did I just get spammed on homebrewtalk? If I'm interested in what email you at abanay Gavin?? A date? Those tanks? I don't get it...

Looks like he was trying to market his products on your post. Pretty low if you ask me.

Looks like he was trying to market his products on your post. Pretty low if you ask me.

Agreed, wonder if he is running around the forum doing this to everybody. He would probably have better luck on pro-brewer anyway. Those tanks are a bit big for my basement haha oh look he pulled it or it got pulled somehow. Thank you moderators!

Sweet setup.
Really diggin the tire/garden bricks.
Would love to up to 30 Gal batchs. Drooling after way to many pints.....

ENJOY!!

Back