Fresh Pom/Blueberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzAnnie

Reaction score
Just scored some fresh pomegranates and fresh/frozen blueberries today. I cut the poms in half and scooped out the seeds and pithe, threw them in the bucket with the whole blueberries, dumped a gallon of hot pom/blueberry juice on top and used the hand blender to really juice them up. Will the pom pithe have any ill-effects on the taste? I plan on leaving it for 24-48 hours then strain it and pitch my yeast. Any thoughts or tips?

100_0514.jpg

I think it is gonna be cloudy for a long long time. You are going to lose a lot when you rack from primary and again when you rack from secondary. You don't want to grind them up so much. It would be better to put them in a straining bag and then put them in the primary . Mike

Your right, I made a note on the recipe to put it in a bag next time, and also when to pick poms in southern, MS. Seems they go from ripe to bad here, and don't turn red, in a heartbeat. In my haste to get the usable ones in the bucket, all I could think of, was to get all the juice I could out of them. I have 10 gallons of store bought pom/blueberry in secondarys, and this one was far superior in taste, smell and color. Thank you so much! Annie

Back