Pond pump...good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look a little small, I dont know if they'll have enough umph to overcome head pressure unless your ice bucket is level with the IC. I have a 300 gph pump that says it will do 12' of head and it is barely sufficient.

huh good to know.

MOST of the time I put the kettle on the ground off of the burner when I start to chill....so that won't be a huge problem.

What kind of Gph rating should I look for?

Thanks!

I would say they're way too small too. That's that kind of pump I've used in those little waterfall things and just put put a constant dribble of water. Think about how fast you would have to pour out a gallon of water to empty it in one minute and that would be the upper capacity of the pump. The manufacturers have charts with the GPH rating based on how high the water will be lifted. A 300-500 will probably give you better results and you can always slow it down with a valve.

Back