Yeast on side of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac2472

Reaction score
Has any one encountered yeast or what looks like yeast sticking to the side of the carboy, it has been in the secondary for a little over a week. Most of the yeast settled at the bottom, then I noticed it sticking to the sides yesterday. I am worried its an infection. Please help
Thanks

image-419301460.jpg

Its yeast. Ive gotten that a few times. Give the carboy a gentle spin in both directs and watch it sink.....slowly

Thanks, it's never happened time before, it's the first time I've used wyeast. I've noticed it acts a little different than the dry yeast

The only thing that bugs me about this is that is not just in the ridges it's also gathering on the sides if you zoom in you can see it, would it be ok to transfer into a 3rd fermenter to let it clear more?

I personally would leave it. Every time you expose the beer , you risk a chance of infection. The yeast won't hurt anything.

Let me be the first to tell you.

It's yeast.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

I see this pretty much every time I ferment anything in a glass carboy. If it's not real close to bottling time, I'd give that thing a quick twist to knock it loose and allow it to settle to the bottom.

It won't hurt anything and if you are careful you won't get much yeast in the bottling bucket when you siphon the beer out of there. To be honest, I don't usually even use a secondary, so unless you don't mind adding more oxygen to your beer, or risking an infection, I'd just not open the carboy.

It happens all the time guys, it's perfectly normal. There are ridges on the carboy, yeast falls, yeast SOMETIMES LANDS ON SAID RIDGES, just like snow sometimes lands on windowsills, or dandruff on a nerd's shoulder. It's nothing to worry about.

Do yourselves a favor and quit hovering over your fermenters looking for something that could go wrong, especially if you don't know if something is wrong or right.

stepaway_copy-15858.jpg

The yeast knows what they're doing, they've been doing what they do for thousands of years, they're the experts not us. Once we pitch the yeast we're not in charge, they are...Our job is done. Our job is to provide a clean factory for them with all the best materials to work with, but after that they just need to be left alone to do what is in their DNA to do... **** like bunnies, then eat sugar, fart co2 and pee alcohol.(How would you like it is someone was hovering around while you were ****ing like bunnies, peeing and fart, and trying to do your job? )Well except for Laughinggnome you probably would hate it right? Same for the yeast......

They can do just fine without us micromanaging them.

Just pitch your yeast, walk away and like Homercidal said, have a rdwhahb moment instead. ;)

Latest posts

Back