Fermentation without air lock activity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye_Brewer1

Reaction score
This is my 4 th extract and it's been 72 hours since pitching an no airlock activity. I understand that a hydrometer is the only true indication of fermentation. I assume fermentation has started but their is not excess co2 being produced in the bucket. My real question is how long should I weight before taking a hydrometer sample. For the first Three batches i waited 2-3 weeks before opening the buckets for sampling. I don't want to weight that long and have no progress. The beer is the northern brewer American wheat and I subbed out yeast and used safe brew wb 06 yeast. The target OG was 1.043 and mine came out as 1.041. I rehydrated the yeast but didn't make a starter. The wort was at 80 degrees when pitched. I also aerated the beer prior to pitching. Temperature range is 68 - 70 in my storage room. Any advice?

For the next brews, 80 is high for pitching...

Is your equipment assembled properly? Dare there any cracks in your fermenter? I had a similar issue and my bucket kid was cracked where the rubber gasket meets with the airlock. Other than that, you can crack the top whenever you want to take a reading. I'd do it now if you suspect nothing is going on? Can you see any kraussen built up?

I just took a hydro reading and it was 1.012 so well on its way. I guess I just need to relax and trust in my work.

Yeah, my wife has said I never clean the house as well as I have been cleaning the beer equipment. It's been a blast so far and its helping me develop patience.

Back