Cider with Brett.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natas

Reaction score
I've got a cider I'm getting ready to bottle. It was made two seasons ago, I used the Orval (White Labs Bastogne) yeast to ferment. It has since formed pellicles and bugged up quite well. At first i thought, "oh crap, there goes that whole batch". But after tasting it, it's quite nice.
Has anyone had a Brettanomyces infected cider before? If so any experiences, advice, etc to go along with it.

No, no pics. Wasn't that interesting to be quite honest. Just a thin layer of white dusty looking skin. I had the cider in three 2.5gal jars. Two of them were infected, the third was not. I blended them all together into a corny to transport to the "bottling area" which is at a friends house where we have a Ferrari corker. So, these will be done up in champagne bottles with corks. I'm figuring they will carbonate a bit in the bottle. Hopefully the two year wait will be worth it, as I'm curious as to how long term storage of ciders with Brett. work out.

I had a commercial french cider that had quite a bit of brett character and it was one of the most enjoyable drinks I have ever had. I can't remember the name but it was in a champagne bottle with a white label and red lettering.

I say let it get nice and funky for a year before you even try it.

dannypo: Was it the Cidre Bouché from Domaine Dupont? If so, I've had that stuff too - really strong brett character. And I have to agree that it is one of the most distinctive & memorable beverages I've ever had.

Pretty amazing to see that that partucular cider finishes at 1.024.

Back