Cold crashing my wheat ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycotte

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an American Wheat ale that I plan on bottling Friday night. I have an extra refrigerator downstairs in my basement where I am currently fermenting . Should I throw the carboy in the refrigerator until Friday morning,take it out Friday morning and warm back up to bottling temps for Friday evening?

You can, though I wouldn't.

The only reason I cold crash is for clarity, and wheats are supposed to be cloudy.

The main reasons for cold conditioning is to help drop the yeast out of suspension, and coagulate the proteins that cause chill haze so they will get heavier and drop out. Chill it now, but don't warm it back up for bottling, or the proteins will go back into suspension and you'll still get chill haze. Bottle it cold, THEN warm it up for bottle conditioning.

So it really sounds like an either or proposition based on preference. I think I'll go without the cold crash then and give the yeast a few more days to continue doing their thing. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Back