Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking that there might a better way to transfer, pitch, and aerate at the same time.

My thinking is this... that it would be much easier to pitch in the brew pot (once the wort has cooled). That way it could be stirred up with a spoon. Secondly if you were to aerate the transfer hose it would not only aerate the beer but also create a little bit of force to help in the transfer to the fermenter. I am thinking that additional force will be needed to push the beer "uphill" so to speak. I know from aquariums that feeding air through a tube will create an updraft with liquid.

I am going to post a link to my drawing (rough as is might be). However after thinking about it for a few minutes I think it would work better if the beer came in from the bottom. It may reduce the need for a venturi (to keep the air from going back in the brew pot).

I know this post is confusing as hell I am not real good at putting down in writing what is in my head. I hope this drawing will help a little...
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb283/Chris_Dog_photos/Airator.jpg

same pict... http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb283/Chris_Dog_photos/Airator.jpg

At any rate what do you guys think?

I forgot to mention my main reason for trying to come up with another way is that shaking those full carboys scares the hell outta me... not to mention I don't really want to put my hand on the top.

I use this.

aerate.JPG

spigotandfiller.JPG

fillingcarboy.JPG

The theory is the beer will pull air in the holes. It does.

I going to have to put this on the back burner while I rethink my wort cooling. The water out of the tap is way to hot here in central FL. to have the wort cooled in the pot. I guess I will need a prechiller or a chill plate to get away from the ice bath.

Back