Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleedbluesgtr71

Reaction score
I recently did my first AG BIAB and it turned out decently. My effeciancy was bad, but it didnt taste bad.

2 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Munich Malt
2.5 gal batch

I was thinkin of adding a 1/2 lb of crystal 60 and an ounce of chocolate malt next time though. Would that be a pretty good grain bill?

I recently did my first AG BIAB and it turned out decently. My effeciancy was bad, but it didnt taste bad.

2 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Munich Malt
2.5 gal batch

I was thinkin of adding a 1/2 lb of crystal 60 and an ounce of chocolate malt next time though. Would that be a pretty good grain bill?

For a 2.5 gallon batch, 3 pounds of grain seems very light to me. You want to make a low ABV, easy drinking session beer, I assume. With 3 pounds of base grain, that is at best an OG of 1.034 or so, about 3% ABV.

If that is the intention, that's fine but I think .5 pound of crystal is too much as it would be over 14% of the grainbill!

What about 1/4 pound? And whats your thoughts on the choc malt? And yea im just making a nice session ale... Kinda my take on a bitter i guess

What about 1/4 pound? And whats your thoughts on the choc malt? And yea im just making a nice session ale... Kinda my take on a bitter i guess

.25 pound would be ok- that's about 8% of the grainbill. It's on the high end for me (I'd use 5-7% for most beers) but it's not over-the-top at all.

An ounce of chocolate malt, just for color? That'd be fine. You'd be looking at an OG of 1.035 or so, or about 3.3-3.4% ABV.

If you're looking for a British-ish session beer, why not do a mild? They have tons of flavor, and are really the ultimate session beer.

Sounds like a mild. And as Yooper suggested,go with that, whats your hop lineup like? I use about 3# of grain in my 1.6 gallon on average for a good 1.05-6 OG, but for mild/bitters it was 2-2.5# of malt.

I knew it was in the realm of almost being a mild. I was thinkin of splitting an ounce of Fuggles or EKGs. I want the malt to be a lil more forward then the hops. Half the ounce at 60 minutes, and the rest with 5 minutes left. Im kind of on the fence about dry hopping this one.

Back