Do States with motorcycle helmets laws ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Require that you wear supplemental eye protection when using a full face helmet?

Oklahoma does not have a helmet law but does require shatter resistant eye protection. I expect a full face helmet provides all the eye protection someone would need but can't find anything to say goggles are/are not required when using a FF helmet.

I've alway worn goggles with foam edges to seal around my face cause my eyes don't like the wind but I've yet to wear a FF helmet and just recently obtained one.

I just looked up the Michigan law, since it was recently overturned and all it says for the new helmetless law states "that riders 21 years and older who have 2 years riding experience, passed the motorcycle Safety Course and carry $20,000 of medical insurance can ride without a helmet. " Can't find anything beyond that in terms of eyewear.

I found an obscure reference to, but not an actual ordinance, that requires eye protection unless riding a bike without a windscreen.

Being made of polycarbonate, the face shield is clearly shatter-resistant. And it protects the eyes when in the down position, therefore it is "eye protection" when it is down. However, when you raise it up, it no longer is protecting your eyes.

So I'm not sure how much clearer it needs to be for ya. A fullface helmet with the visor down is shatter-resistant eye protection. I suppose you could technically get busted for lifting the visor up at a stoplight or something... but realistically, I doubt it would ever be an issue.

It only applies if the visor is up, then in that case you need eyewear. However, that is common sense and you are a moron for not using glasses with the visor up and also if you dont wear a helmet to begin with. Also, what about those like myself who have smoked visors? Common sense man common sense.

Being made of polycarbonate, the face shield is clearly shatter-resistant. And it protects the eyes when in the down position, therefore it is "eye protection" when it is down. However, when you raise it up, it no longer is protecting your eyes.

So I'm not sure how much clearer it needs to be for ya. A fullface helmet with the visor down is shatter-resistant eye protection. I suppose you could technically get busted for lifting the visor up at a stoplight or something... but realistically, I doubt it would ever be an issue.

Do you think a normal road cop is going to know/worry about something obsure?

It only applies if the visor is up, then in that case you need eyewear. However, that is common sense and you are a moron for not using glasses with the visor up and also if you dont wear a helmet to begin with. Also, what about those like myself who have smoked visors? Common sense man common sense.

This is Oklahoma. Our cops are obscure. I wanted to be certain.

personally i would have gone for the open face with eye wear. full face helmets can get stifling hot in the summer

personally i would have gone for the open face with eye wear. full face helmets can get stifling hot in the summer

I already have an open face and a 3/4. I wanted the full face for winter riding but it is a modular and convertible to open face or 3/4 with an integral flip down tinted shade.

Even with the 3/4 I've always worn goggles cause my eyes dry out to bad, so I never questioned it. With the FF I just wasn't sure if I'd have to double up or not and couldn't find anything definitive online to say either way.

Back