Winter Seasonal Beer Caramel Apple Winter Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkowa

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SafAle US-04
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14, 62F
Tasting Notes
Winter warmer minus the high alcohol. Cinnamon taste, apple aroma.
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
4 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
2.00 tsp Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins)
2 lbs Apple Cider (3.0 SRM)
2.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml]
4.00 oz Apple Extract (Bottling 0.0 mins)

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.5 %
Bitterness: 18.4 IBUs Calories: 183.7 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 12.1 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs

Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 174.8 F 156.0 F 45 min
Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.99gal, 4.11gal) of 168.0 F water

After 50+ batches in the last two years, I've come up with (what I believe to be) an original recipe that was universally loved by the entire family. The cinnamon is faint, the apple aroma is ideal, and the crystal gives a sweet taste to the beer. Some may suggest a cinnamon "tea" at bottling. I believe the spice would be to strong and smack you in the face. The apple juice was more of a "hey, it was made with real apple juice" ingredient decision. I don't find that it adds much to taste. Ferment at the low end of the US-04 temperature range to allow the grain bill and additives to shine through. Cheers!

I am thinking about giving this recipe a try for the upoming holiday season. When did you add the apple cider? Is it added to the full boil, near the end, or after the wort is chilled?

sdsurfaddict said:
2 lbs of apple cider should be roughly 32 ozs, so you are right on the money!

I was asking if this is right, it doesn't seem like a lot of apple flavor would come through with only a 1/4 gallon of apple juice.

Also, remember that fluid ozs and weight ozs are two different measurements. Some fluids are heavier and the conversion may not be as straight forward.

I'm going to attempt to make this beer this week. I didn't know if anyone else had made it and has any more pointers or recommendations for this beer? Also I was wondering why the 2 packages of yeast? Thanks

when should the apple cider be added? thinking just before pitching the yeast

I am going to try to make this tomorrow. I will be peeling my apples so that I will not have any yeast from the apple skins in the beer. I will also add my apples juiced in a juicer at flame out so they have a chance to pasteurize and no worries about sanitization for the apples. I hope this works.

My brother and I both made 2 separate batches then compared the results. We both had no caramel flavor that was noticeable. Anyone else have that issue?

It's in the secondary now. Just before I bottle/keg (batch is larger than a keg) I will add 4 oz of Apple extract. Hopefully this will provide the extra apple flavor I am hoping for. I will let you know how it tastes in about a month.

Ok I legged this on November 19th and I knew I would be anxious to taste so I bottles 6. I just cracked one. Although it's still a bit young I can tell its a definite do over. Thanks for the recipe. Cheers.

I just made this last weekend. Primary for 5 days at 59 deg and it has stopped bubbling. Seemed fast for so cool??? How long did you secondary, was it noticeable?

Primary for about a week is what I had done then secondary for about a week but had really no noticeable activity. Did you follow my apple juice addition timing?

I am still confused as to when to add the apple juice. As far as flavors/extracts go, a tiny bit of apricot flavor will really bring out the apple flavor. I have added just apple flavor, and the apple presence was minimal until I added the apricot and a little sweetener as well. I am only talking about 1-2 oz of apricot as an adjunct. I always add a little apricot to any of my apple creations, and always at bottling.

Added it at flame out as well. But I couldn't find enough time for apples so I used shelf brand cider. Went with the pasteurized no additives or preservatives. Wort tastes pretty good as I put it on secondary, some carbonation would really set it. The apple was there but not quite the right balance. Mindenman: The apricot idea sounds interesting. Think I'll split the bottling and see how it works out. 1/3 only apricot, 1/3 only apple, 1/3 both

You should be ok but pasteurized cider may introduce unwanted yeast and thereby changing the overall fermentation.

True but I really didn't want to introduce any preservatives like most ciders. Best way by far is running a bunch of peeled apples through the steam juicer but I just didn't have the apples or the time. As with all batches I learn alittle each time.

I cracked another bottle of this last night and the apple flavors are very obvious. tastes a lot like cider. may need another week or so before I tap the keg. cheers!

Awesome awesome beer. Thanks for the recipe. I used a 64 oz bottle of cider from walmart. Very popular. I am drinking this now.

Latest posts

Back