How to get rid of gunk in your pot before putting it in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8upbrad

Reaction score
I recently did a brewers best amber ale kit. It's a partial mash kit, I think is the term. After I boiled all ingredients and cooled the pot, it was time for me to transfer the beer to my primary pail by using my siphon. There was a lot of gunk or trub coming through the hose. I ended up using this mesh cooking screen thing, which took me forever to transfer. Anyways, is that what a "false bottom" is used for??.. Or what can I add to my equipment to make less hassle for me when I do my next kit?.. Thx In advance

Don't use your siphon. Line your pail with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, and pour into it. Lift it out after pouring. Most/all of the gunk will be captured by the bag.

paint strainer bag, a large kitchen strainer, or just don't bother straining it out.

it all works

Don't worry about the hops debris and trub going into the fermenter. If you want to use a strainer and pour through a strainer you can. but you don't have to, and it'll all compact down in the end with the yeast when the beer is finished.

Brewer's Best kits are extract kits, not partial mash kits. They are pretty good, with specialty grains for steeping and extract, and make a decent beer.

Back