Best hop varietals for Southern Ontario?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walking_Target

Reaction score
Just like the title says; any southern ontario/upstate new york/michigan brewers have any suggestions?

I'm looking at Cascades, Nugget, Hallertau, Goldings or Northern Brewer.

Looking for two out of the three, ideally one good aroma cultivar and one good bittering cultivar.

I am just up HWY 7 in Ottawa. I grow Cascade, Mt Hood, and Goldings purchased from Left Field Farms and all three started to grow fantastic. The only problem I hit last year was a) it was their first year b) We had too hot of a summer. Its was just nuts last summer. Everyone around here had a sub par year. It was the hottest summer on record since the 40's I think.

Good to know. I'm most definitely going with Cascades... it's an all-around good hop, especially for IPA styles.

Just trying to decide among the other varieties. Hopefully my trip up to Whitby for supplies will yield some more answers!

I have (best preforming 1st) Cascade, Zeus, Centennial and Chinook all did very well in Michigan.

I have cascades, willametts, centennial, and northern brewers. Growing in Buffahole. All do good except for the northern brewer; but who noes could be my soil or location or water. I am going to try and get some saaz going this spring but, havn't found anyone who sells saaz crowns. Just rizomes.

I just ordered Fuggle, Nugget and Centennial from Prairie Gem Hops in Manitoba. I am hoping that if those varieties grow well there that they should do ok in S/W Ontario. They will be the start of my garden.

Good to know. I'm most definitely going with Cascades... it's an all-around good hop, especially for IPA styles.

Just trying to decide among the other varieties. Hopefully my trip up to Whitby for supplies will yield some more answers!

I've had great success with Cascade and Willamette. Some friends in town also had Magnum, Centennial, and Chinook the yield was not as good, but still not bad.

Where are you buying the hops? I just moved to a new house, transplanted some plants last fall but want to add a couple more varieties.

Im thinking of buying from Left Field out in BC and/or Four Horses farm over near Quinte. I'd prefer to use Four Horses, but they're only offering 3 rhizome types right now.

I also just moved and now have room for some plants, so it's about time... hopefully 8ish hours a day of full sun and the rest part sun will do it.

If your also in Peterborough, have you tried the Publican House yet?

What does Four Horses have? I want to get Centennial and Chinook.

Yes have had Publican many times, Square Nail Pale is my favorite. Used to live 2 blocks away which was very handy.

Four Horses has a bunch on their site, but only a few for pre order sale right now.

I found the Publican Square Nail rather uninspired. It's got a lot of bitterness and the quality of the brew is good but it's pretty one dimensional, it's basically a SMASH.

Back