HEPA filter with Oxygenation Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
Thinking about getting an Oxygenation Kit to be used with a disposable oxygen tank. Do I need an inline HEPA filter with this if I'm using a tank or is this just if you're using an air pump?

Good question; I've thought about this myself. I use an O2 tank without a filter and I haven't had any contamination issues yet. I'm curious to know what others do.

Can anything nasty even survive in pure O2?

I don't think it's entirely necessary, but it certainly can't hurt. The oxygenation kit I bought secondhand has a filter, but if I were buying one new I would probably consider going without. Some of the kits sold from the major online retailers seem to skip the filter, so it can't be too bad.

It seems that HEPA filters usually have a 0.3 micron or so pore size - considering that the airstones you use with oxygen are 0.5 micron, compared to 2 micron for air, I think they probably do a moderately good job of keeping contaminants out of your beer anyway. And that's in addition to the fact that not many (if any) nasties could probably live in a pure-oxygen environment like the oxygen hose anyway.

Back