Force Carbing ginger ale with a soda siphon THEN bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTim559

Reaction score
I purchased an isi soda siphon. Instructions say it is only for carbonating water but I am experimenting with making ginger ales and root beers.

According to the instructions the small Co2 canister you attach shoots all it's contents into the canister at once. Then you are supposed to shake the canister and pull the trigger to dispense.

My question is this... If I were to allow the Co2 more time to carbonating the drink and absorb into the liquid... could I dispense directly to a bottle and quickly cap it? I am not expecting it to stay carbonating for months... but if i could get 2 weeks I would be excited.

It would appear a lot of the Co2 would be lost while dispensing the drink. Could I (safely) unscrew the cap and then pour the soda into bottles or would it be hazardous due to the pressure?

The model I bought:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-699876/iSi-Stainless-Steel-Soda-Siphon

Update: Bottled one as a test last night. Ginger Ale was roughly room temperature and beyond shaking the canister I didn't allow much time for the Co2 to absorb. As expected the bottle was so lightly carbonated this morning it was hardly noticeable.

I just applied Co2 to very cold ginger ale and I have been shaking every few minutes. I'm going to allow the Co2 a few hours and some more shaking to absorb. I am also going to use some tubing so that I can try to prevent losing so much carbonation when dispensing from the canister. I had so much foam on the first test due to it spraying with a lot of force into the bottom of the bottle.

Wish me luck.

Back