Good Temp Probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhoz

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this digital thermometer?
B000AY6UH8.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000AY6UH8/ref=s9_asin_title_1-hf_favarpcbss_2238_p/103-9405139-2226251?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1DBQK6SDQ7XW4HYYSC9S&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=279667501&pf_rd_i=507846

Pro's:
$15
Two probes (2 mash locations, one in mash and one in HLT, etc)
Silicone coated probes

Cons:
You can't adjust the target temps of the alarms

I like the twin probe idea. They are all pretty similar in software and response time when new. The response time is mostly based on the newness of the thermocouple.

The target temp feature is nice when leaving a pre- boiling pot unattended. I set it for 207 or so then it draws my attention when boiling is imminent.

I have 2 - one from austin homebrew that was like $30, and one from sears that was on sale @ $12. I like the $12 one better because the controls are more intuitive.

That looks like a great deal if those probes are waterproof, and it looks like they may be. I really like the two probes/unit.

If you get it, let us know how it turns out.

I don't see where's it's $15. That dual probe Polder usually goes for mid to high $30's on Ebay. Cover the cords with silicone aquarium air tubing with a little aquarium silicone sealant where it meets the probe and you can submerse it all day long. I have the single probe one from Target for $17 but I have two so it's nice that I can run them in different locations. The only thing I wish it would do is provide a LOW temp alarm as well. It would be nice to know if your mash gets too low.

Bobby_M said:
Cover the cords with silicone aquarium air tubing with a little aquarium silicone sealant where it meets the probe and you can submerse it all day long.

Bobby has suggested this before, and I tried it -- works great. 1/8" high temp silicone is what I used, and the probe is waterproof and oven-proof. Thanks Bobby!

Well the probe showed up yesterday. The temperature readings on both probes seem to be correct (at low temps anyway). The wires to the probes are sealed and should keep wort out of them, but where they connect to the probe itself I think there is an issue. The plastic coating is tucked into the metal probe and the metal is crimped. There is a space there for liquid to get in. I think I'll dab some silicone sealant to seal it up.

Back