Brew Target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just downloaded brewtarget.

just plugged in a few of my recipes, first trying to use the "Beer XML" import from QBrew, which is what i use currently. When i did this, it made all of my numbers extremely high. like to the point of saying my regularly 1.055 SG, and 23IBU american wheat would come out with a SG of 1.157 and an IBU of 90.

so, i tried just creating the recipe from scratch. plugged in my equipment in the equipment section, and then my ingredients exactly as they are in QBrew. efficiencies the same etc, boil times, mash times, hop additions everything. with a result of BrewTarget saying my SG would be .007 high at 1.062, and my IBUs at 26.7.

anyone have any idea about this? my Qbrew results have always been spot on with the recipes, and i'm just surprised by the difference. ABV would be 6.1 according to BrewTarget and 5.4 by Qbrew.

i really like the layout of the BrewTarget, and I want to be able to learn to closer calculate my mash stats, like absorption and temp loss etc, which QBrew doesn't do. but i just want to make sure that i'm on the right track.

thanks!

With some setting up Brewtarget has gotten me just about dead on. When what it expects has been different from what came out generally has been due to the idiot on the other side of the screen not telling it the correct AA% on hops or not listening to it when it comes to volumes.
It takes some playing with to get dialed in to your equipment, but then again I think most brewing software takes that.
About the only part I question is the color. They seem to be right but according to it I won't ever be able to have a Pale colored beer, they always end up in the lower end of Amber. Not a big deal really, beer color is not that important to me.

i just downloaded brewtarget.

just plugged in a few of my recipes, first trying to use the "Beer XML" import from QBrew, which is what i use currently. When i did this, it made all of my numbers extremely high. like to the point of saying my regularly 1.055 SG, and 23IBU american wheat would come out with a SG of 1.157 and an IBU of 90.

so, i tried just creating the recipe from scratch. plugged in my equipment in the equipment section, and then my ingredients exactly as they are in QBrew. efficiencies the same etc, boil times, mash times, hop additions everything. with a result of BrewTarget saying my SG would be .007 high at 1.062, and my IBUs at 26.7.

anyone have any idea about this? my Qbrew results have always been spot on with the recipes, and i'm just surprised by the difference. ABV would be 6.1 according to BrewTarget and 5.4 by Qbrew.

i really like the layout of the BrewTarget, and I want to be able to learn to closer calculate my mash stats, like absorption and temp loss etc, which QBrew doesn't do. but i just want to make sure that i'm on the right track.

thanks!
I just use BrewTarget for recipe formulation but it works fine for me. I'd guess something is off with the equipment setting somehow. Just my guess.

Back