"spice tea" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiffer75

Reaction score
I have seen references in some forums of making a "spice tea" to add flavoring later in ferment process. Is this just dissolving ground spices in boiling water and adding to frementer?

Nah, it's created in a process whereby the fungal excretions of sandtrout mix with water to form a pre-spice mass. This mass would then be brought to the surface of the desert through an explosion of pressure, and under the intense heat and air of Arrakis, melange would form. When the worms died, sandtrout would be released into the sand, and the cycle of creation would repeat.

Then you steep it in vodka for a few weeks and you have a spice tea. :p

In all seriousness though, just get some cheap vodka and steep your spices in it and add it to taste at either secondary fermentation or at bottling. :D

I'm going to do this with Coriander and orange zest for a belgian golden strong that's aging on oak. I didnt' want the flavors to fade while it's sitting on the oak cubes so I'm just going to toss the spices and such in a french press and pour boiling water over it. I've also done it with hops in an esb that sat in the fermentor for a while to kick up the aroma/flavor.

Nah, it's created in a process whereby the fungal excretions of sandtrout mix with water to form a pre-spice mass. This mass would then be brought to the surface of the desert through an explosion of pressure, and under the intense heat and air of Arrakis, melange would form. When the worms died, sandtrout would be released into the sand, and the cycle of creation would repeat.

Then you steep it in vodka for a few weeks and you have a spice tea. :p

In all seriousness though, just get some cheap vodka and steep your spices in it and add it to taste at either secondary fermentation or at bottling. :D

+1 to the Dune Reference!

And don't go overboard with the vodka, unless you like your beer to smell like rubbing alcohol. IMHO 1 to 2 oz is probably enough for any spice tea, but opinions surely vary. Depending on the material being used, water might even work.

Back