Dallas/Fort Worth Group Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack04

Reaction score
I have found a source for bulk grains that has reasonable prices and I'm trying to gauge interested in a group buy. Ideally we would want to order a full pallet to maximize the shipping but the minimum order is 20 sacks.

To get things started please post what grains you would be interested in and the quantity you would be interested in.

Here are approximate prices for some common grains:
  • Rahr USA Standard 2-Row $0.660/lb
  • Rahr USA Premium Pilsner $0.673/lb
  • Gambrinus Canada Vienna $0.824/lb
  • Weyermann Germany Pilsner $0.889/lb
  • Global Germany Wheat $0.837/lb
  • Pauls UK Pale Ale $0.785/lb
  • Meussdoerffer Germany Munich $0.763/lb
  • Warminster UK Maris Otter $0.902/lb
These prices assume we have enough interest for a full pallet and someone has access to a receiving dock and pallet jack.

I'm interested in 2 bags of 2 row. What is the expected cost for shipping, assuming a full pallet?

freelunch said:
I'm interested in 2 bags of 2 row. What is the expected cost for shipping, assuming a full pallet?

The prices listed include shipping which was quoted $140.

michaelpi said:
I might be interested in a few bags of Weyermann. Good luck finding people for a group buy.

What quantity would you like so I can get a count?

How many bags on a pallet ?

I'd love to, but I doubt I would be able to use all the grain before it went bad.
At best I would use 1/2 a bag a year of 2 base malts.
I'd also need a mill. There would go any savings for a while.

who is the group buy from? i could put the word out to 200 or so people very quickly. i could use a bag of wheat and a bag of munich, too

I am thinking of trying to get my hands on some 2 row I am 2 hours east of dallas in Tyler

possibly some pilsner as well

looks like I might need a Corona Mill sooner than later.

-=Jason=-

edit: FML I need to win the lotto so I can buy grain and brew beer.

Ah ha! I have been watching out for a Dallas group buy! $0.66 is half the price of the local LHBS. I would have more money to buy other stuff from them.

Put me down for 3 bags, maybe more if you talk me into it. Might as well.

Unmilled grain can keep for up to a year in the right conditions correct?

adam01 said:
How many bags on a pallet ?

I'd love to, but I doubt I would be able to use all the grain before it went bad.
At best I would use 1/2 a bag a year of 2 base malts.
I'd also need a mill. There would go any savings for a while.

45 bags on a pallet.

lumpher said:
who is the group buy from? i could put the word out to 200 or so people very quickly. i could use a bag of wheat and a bag of munich, too

Missouri Malt Supply.

I might be interested in a bag of 2-row, maris otter, and wheat. I will confirm this weekend.

So four more sacks? Come on fellas. Daddy needs grain for 50% off.

Hops direct shipping just got cheaper too since they switched to fed ex. Looked like $11 to ship 8 lbs of hops.

Be aware that the prices will increase for the min order. I will post updated prices shortly.

Here are the updated prices with a 20 sack order.

• Rahr USA Standard 2-Row $0.790/lb
  • Gambrinus Canada Vienna $0.907/lb
  • Weyermann Germany Pilsner $1.011/lb
  • Global Germany Wheat $0.959/lb
  • Pauls UK Pale Ale $0.881/lb
  • Meussdoerffer Germany Munich $0.959/lb
  • Warminster UK Maris Otter $0.998/lb

Ah ha! I have been watching out for a Dallas group buy! $0.66 is half the price of the local LHBS. I would have more money to buy other stuff from them.

Put me down for 3 bags, maybe more if you talk me into it. Might as well.

Unmilled grain can keep for up to a year in the right conditions correct?

3 bags of what?

How many lbs/bag? How is the funding handled?

The amount of grain per bag depends on the grain. In the list I provided all of the grains come in 55 lb bags except the standard 2-row which is a 50 lb bag.

Funds will be sent to me via paypal prior to submitting an order. I will place the order once all the funds have been received. I understand this is not ideal but this is the only way I can protect myself. Honestly, I don't see much benefit to completing the order if we can't get a full pallet. I can get standard 2-row locally for $0.88/lb which is only ~$4.00 more per sack.

So 45 bags for a full pallet huh... We are a long way shy of that.

I agree with needing a full order for a beneficial savings...

Anywho, we need more people to spread the word! The way I look at it is since I do 10 gallon batches, the base malts would get me 2-3 batches per sack. I can burn that before any worry sets in.

1. Rahr USA Standard 2-Row
2. Global Germany Wheat
3. Pauls UK Pale Ale

The amount of grain per bag depends on the grain. In the list I provided all of the grains come in 55 lb bags except the standard 2-row which is a 50 lb bag.

Funds will be sent to me via paypal prior to submitting an order. I will place the order once all the funds have been received. I understand this is not ideal but this is the only way I can protect myself. Honestly, I don't see much benefit to completing the order if we can't get a full pallet. I can get standard 2-row locally for $0.88/lb which is only ~$4.00 more per sack.

Where do you get grain locally for $.88/lb? Just curious as that's a great price.

Come on guys. One of the larger cities in the country and there aren't enough all grain brewers here to make this order?

Flomaster said:
Still need some more orders? I'm in for a sack of 2 row

-=Jason=-

Unfortunately I have lost all motivation organizing the group buy. Too much hassle for not much savings.

I'm in for two bags as well. In wonder if this can get some life breathed back into it.

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

Back