Improvised makeshift brew stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I do have dreams of a multi-tier stand for the near future but other projects take priority. What I do have is a converted keggle with hopstopper and CFC, a multijet NG burner and the burning desire to brew this weekend.

What I haven't quite figured out is how to hold the keggle up at an appropriate height for CFC to fermenter gravity draining. I may get the wort wizard thing (petshop aquarium drainer) but I'm also using the keg to bring mash/sparge water to temp so gravity drain into the MLT would be nice. That and the fact that all my fermenters are better bottles so wort wizard no workie.

I have some scrap angle and tubular stock laying around, but not enough to make a stand just yet. I was thinking of bridging two lengths of tubular steel between two tables or something and putting the keg on top. Maybe mount the burner to a piece of metal hanging underneath. I don't want to spend too much time, but I don't want the batch tipping off either. I want to hear your ideas.

For those with multijet burners, does the black cast part get really hot over the course of a brew session? Could I mount this to wood under the keg?

How about setting the NG burner in your grill on top of the old burners. Replace the grate and set your keggle on that? This get's you some height and doesn't risk burning anything down. ;)

If that doesn't work, maybe you can boil on something low, and then just pick up the keggle and set it up higher when you need to drain it. The skirt of the keggle will be VERY hot, so be careful.

I think I'd shy away from the make-shift angle iron idea, but I guess it could work OK.

Also, instead of the wort wizard, it seems that some people use aquarium pumps with success (even for HERMS/RIMS setups). I was thinking that might be an inexpensive workable alternative to the wort wizard for people using better bottles.

Bobby_M said:
I do have dreams of a multi-tier stand for the near future but other projects take priority. What I do have is a converted keggle with hopstopper and CFC, a multijet NG burner and the burning desire to brew this weekend.

What I haven't quite figured out is how to hold the keggle up at an appropriate height for CFC to fermenter gravity draining. I may get the wort wizard thing (petshop aquarium drainer) but I'm also using the keg to bring mash/sparge water to temp so gravity drain into the MLT would be nice. That and the fact that all my fermenters are better bottles so wort wizard no workie.

I have some scrap angle and tubular stock laying around, but not enough to make a stand just yet. I was thinking of bridging two lengths of tubular steel between two tables or something and putting the keg on top. Maybe mount the burner to a piece of metal hanging underneath. I don't want to spend too much time, but I don't want the batch tipping off either. I want to hear your ideas.

For those with multijet burners, does the black cast part get really hot over the course of a brew session? Could I mount this to wood under the keg?

It gets pretty hot, but I'm not sure it would combust it. I've seen plenty of brew stands made of wood.

Search over in the "let's see your brewrig" thread(s) on greenboard. Lot of wood ones over there. Maybe you could PM the owners and see exactly what they think.

Right on. Good ideas. Using my current grill setup might just work but I only have a 3/8" nat gas line running out there. I've got the full 1/2" deal in the garage but I suppose I could wheel that B!tch around the house to give it a try. Thanks.

You could also head over to Home Depot and buy some odd-lot ceramic tiles and cover your wooden brew stand. That'll prevent it from combustion and diffuse the heat.

Go look in my gallery. I used a black and decker work stand for some height. The burner gets hot, so to prevent melting the plastic, I used a plywood piece. It got pretty warm, but no way in hell was it going to combust.

Maybe use some ciderblocks for a lower tier.

In the Vagrancy thread, theres a link to my flickr images. Walker got sme elevation using 2 ladders.

There's a guy over at the BN forum who has his keg HLT on a block and tackle so he can fill it, heat it, and then raise it for sparging. Sounds dangerouse to me, but he claims it actually very stable. I suppose you could do something similar to get your keg up and start the siphon through your CFC. Just sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me.

Back