Smoked Malt/Belma SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought some Belma hops, and somehow while reading the description I thought "Smoke?" So now I think I'd like to do a smoked malt/Belma SMaSH, but I'm wondering if 100% smoked malt would be too much. It seems like a lot of the other smoked IPAs on the site use <50%, but I'm a big fan of the SMaSH, and generally like smoked beers.

I would be brewing BIAB/No-Chill, so my hop additions are adjusted accordingly, but here's what I get with BrewTarget:

5.5 gallons, 75% efficiency

13 lb Smoked Malt
1.5 oz Belma (12.1% AA, leaf), FWH (calculated as 30 min)
1.5 oz Belma, Cube Hop (calculated as 20 min)
3 oz Belma, Dry-hop
US-05

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016 (probably a little lower)
ABV: 6.4%
IBU: 60.5
SRM: 12.2
BU:GU: 0.93
Calories: 217

Feedback would be most welcome!

Okay, changed up the grain:

5 lb Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt
2 lb Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt
6 lb Briess US 2-row

I wasn't sure if all-smoke would be too much, and it was a lot more expensive, so I cut it almost in half, favoring the smoked malt. Also, I couldn't decide between the BBQ smell of Briess and the bacon smell of Weyermann, so I did some of each.

Let me know how this comes out. I am very interested.

I've yet to play with those smokey malts and have 1.5 lbs of Belma left.

Sorry I missed your thread. A smoked malt SMaSH would work great with Weyermann. Try a Shlenkerla Urbock as an example. I just made a 100% Weyermann and the smoke is actually very subtle if you use a lot of hops. So to keep it smoky, you have to dial down the hops.

100% Briess would probably NOT be good, because Briess is much smokier than Weyermann. Just smell them and you'll understand quickly.

This 5-2-6 recipe in post #2 will be fairly smoky due to the large amount of Briess. IMHO, 20% Briess is relatively subtle, but 40% would probably be pretty strong.

Well, I brewed this up a couple weeks ago, just dry hopped it, hoping to bottle next week. From the airlock the only thing I can smell is hops, but the hydro sample I took on brew day tasted amazing. It was smokey, citrusy, and a little tropical. If it tastes the way I picture it in my mind, I'm gonna call it Hawaiian Pig Roast.

Very interesting idea. I'd like to hear how it turns out.

Did you end up doing a SMaSH with the Weyermann malt or did you use a base malt too?

Did you end up doing a SMaSH with the Weyermann malt or did you use a base malt too?

Nope, I went with the revised bill above. So:
5 lb Briess Smoked
2 lb Weyermann Smoked
6 lb Briess Pale Malt

1.5 oz Belma FWH
1.5 oz Belma Cube hop (I no-chill)
3 oz Dry hop

US-05

73% efficiency
OG: 1.064
IBU: 61
SRM: ~6-10
Hoping for an FG of around 1.012-1.014

I liked the smell of both smoked malts, the Briess smelling like BBQ, the Weyermann like bacon. I thought it might give a more complex smoke flavor.

I admire your recipe, but 61 IBUs on a 1.064 OG beer is gonna disappoint. The hops will totally overwhelm any nice subtleties from the smoke. Hops and smoke simply don't work together. It may well be a very good beer, but dialing down the hops would make it much much better. And 3 oz dry hops... Ugh.

Just as an example, the penultimate rauchbier, Schlenkerla Urbock, which is basically 100% rauchmalt, is 40 IBU and 1.072. So you are waaaaaaaaaaay hoppier than that. Why even bother with smoked malts when you're just making a hop bomb?

Based on the hydro sample I took, the smoke is more than present. This is supposed to be a smoked IPA, with the smoke and the fruitiness from the hops blending (hopefully) in perfect harmony. Like a Hawaiian pig roast.

Keep all of us updated. I'm kicking around an all-belma doppelgratzer as an idea after reading this.

Fresh pour from the remains of the bottling bucket. Sample has a nice bitterness, smoke is definitely dominant. Would like a bit more hop flavor, but I'll wait for it to carb up before I worry too much.

2012-12-05-204330-57537.jpg

So, two weeks in the bottle, I think I'd make a couple adjustments:

1.) cut back on bitterness a bit, say 55-60 IBU
2.) cut back on smoke a bit, maybe replace the Weyermann with 2-row
3.) hop-burst the hell out of this thing
4.) add more assertive tropical-flavored hops (Citra, Galaxy) in addition to the Belma

Gonna give this a little more time to mature, but must start preparing for a second attempt.

What did you think about the level of residual sweetness? I've been experimenting with smoked beers and I'm slowly concluding that a small amounted crystal malt seems to add a nice touch of sweetness.

I thought the sweetness was enhanced by the fruity hop flavors and maybe a little from the cherrywood smoke. I think crystal may have added a little too much, but I don't typically use crystal malts in my IPAs anyway.

Back