I love rye!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewgardner

Reaction score
So a few years ago today I asked my wife to marry me...yes I am a true Irishman who asked his wife to marry him on St. Patrick's Day. Tonight I took her and our sons out for a nice dinner to celebrate an anniversary of sorts. My point of this post is that the bar had Sam Adams Revolutionary Rye on tap - I was already convinced I wanted to make a Rye next anyways - but after downing 3 tallboys of the Sam Adams versions and telling her she was driving home I realized I need to make a Rye for myself. I am still an extract brewer using specialty grains, can someone PLEASE give me a good Rye recipe, because I NEED to be drinking this on a regular basis.

Thank you so much!

Rye is one of my favs too! I'll post a recipe either later tonight or tomorrow morning!

I think AHS has a couple different rye beers, one is on special for $20 too that I got my eye on. Hurry up payday!!!

Can you do a partial mash? Because I'm pretty sure there aren't any extract rye.

Forgive me because its been a while since I converted a recipe to extract.
But you could do something like:

4lbs Extra Light DME
2lbs 6 Row (to help with conversion)
2lbs Rye

Steep the grains at about 150 for 60mins
Hop to preference. Love rye, so good!

Just popped open a bottle of my (still young but tasty) RyePA.

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.19 %
1.80 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 13.53 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.52 %
0.50 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.76 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [11.20 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 33.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [11.20 %] (30 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.60 %] (10 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [11.20 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [Cultured]

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.21 %
Bitterness: 61.3 IBU
Est Color: 5.7 SRM

A partial mash should work.

OK, here's my Rye, got good reviews from the LHBS.

2# Rye
2# Munich
2# Wheat
1/2# Biscuit
1/2# Caramel 10
4 oz. Chocolate Malt
7 AAU Warrior 45min
3# light DME 15 min.
1 oz MT Hood 5min
1 oz MT hood @knockout
WYeast 1272

My OG was 1.048, FG 1.012 for an ABV of 5.5%.

3 weeks in the primary, secondary if you want to, leave it in the bottles for a couple of weeks. Enjoy!

I love Thurn und Taxis Roggen. Will make some roggenbier this summer.

Other than traditional roggenbier, rye was used to brew poor people's beer, along with oats. I have an idea of making such beer: 25% rye malt, 25% malted oats, 50% barley malt.

This is encouraging. I had that Sam Adams Revolutionary Rye and swore I would never drink rye again.

I have brewed Austin Homebrews Bear Republic HopRod Rye clone and it turned out amazing. I will be doing it again and again!

Just my $0.02... If you really like rye, it can be used as up to 25-30% of the grist (or higher if you really, really, really like rye).

But you'd probably have to go partial mash to do this.

Try the Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA in the Recipes / IPAs section. My third batch is up for brewing sometime later this month, and I can't say enough good things about it.

Just popped open a bottle of my (still young but tasty) RyePA.

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.19 %
1.80 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 13.53 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.52 %
0.50 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.76 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [11.20 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 33.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [11.20 %] (30 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.60 %] (10 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [11.20 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [Cultured]
Old thread, but searching for thoughts on a rye ale made with Wyeast 1084 and not finding much. Hope it's not because it's a bad idea. Seemed like it might work, so brewed a Red Rye recipe using this yeast. It's fermenting at 62 degrees, but doing some more looking while waiting and getting nervous about the combination.

Has anyone brewed something like this recipe or have you (Mongrel) rebrewed it?

Old thread, but searching for thoughts on a rye ale made with Wyeast 1084 and not finding much. Hope it's not because it's a bad idea. Seemed like it might work, so brewed a Red Rye recipe using this yeast. It's fermenting at 62 degrees, but doing some more looking while waiting and getting nervous about the combination.

Has anyone brewed something like this recipe or have you (Mongrel) rebrewed it?
I've been meaning to rebrew it. It scored decently in competition. Think I got ~35 on it, but that was a long time ago. From what I remember about the tasting notes was that it needed more rye character. I can try to find the score sheets tonight, but not sure if I still have them.

I can try to find the score sheets tonight, but not sure if I still have them.
If you can remember, it would be interesting to hear if there were any yeast related comments. What category did you enter it under?

Founders Red's Rye. That's all.
Great beer, but none of the clone recipes I found use anything like the Irish Ale yeast. So, are you saying it's a bad idea?

This is the Rye Recipe I use nowadays...

8.5 lbs of 2 row
2lbs Rye Malt
1.5 lbs Flaked Rye
.5 lbs Caramunich
.5 lbs German Wheat
.25 lb C-120
.2 lb Special B

1 oz of Columbus @60
1 oz of Columbus @15
1 oz of Columbus @5

I use S-05 for the yeast.

I am currently waiting for the Final results, but I am a finalist with this recipe in the Maine Homebrewers Competition.

I LOVE RYE!!!

51xupnawfml.jpg

I love rye so much I just ordered ingredients to make a roggenbier, I've never had one before so im pretty excited ill let you know how it turns out

If you can remember, it would be interesting to hear if there were any yeast related comments. What category did you enter it under?
Sorry, haven't been able to find the sheets. It went in category 23.

edit - ok, remembered what box I had them in. Misremembered the score on this one. Of the 3 BJCP judges it averaged a 32 (30, 32, 34). One judge (the 32) did pick up on the phenols from the yeast. This was also one of the last beers I brewed before building my fermentation chamber.

I do not like rye IPAs (I don't really like IPAs very much). I do like other rye beers. Roggenbier is delicious. Rye makes a good addition to other beers, like rye saisons, rye pale ales, etc. Just something about rye plus all the hop bitterness rubs me the wrong way.

One judge (the 32) did pick up on the phenols from the yeast. This was also one of the last beers I brewed before building my fermentation chamber.
Those are decent scores! 23 can be tough and open to a lot of interpretation and personal preference. Sometimes your intent can be seen as a flaw.

What temperature do you think you were at for the early days of fermentation? For 1084 Wyeast says, "Beers fermented in the lower temperature range produce a dry, crisp profile with subtle fruitiness. Fruit and complex esters will increase when fermentation temperatures are above 64°F.”

I’ve been working on a new fermentation chamber myself. Tried to keep the wort at 62-64 degrees, but had a few problems where the wort got up to about 66°F for around an hour each time before I caught it. I’m hoping that won’t be enough to get me too far into the “fruit and complex esters” area. The “dry, crisp profile with subtle fruitiness” is more of what I was going for. I think it could compliment a Rye beer.

Latest posts

Back