Wow Stinky Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turk10mm

Reaction score
My first batch was an AHS Belgian Whit and the entire time during fermentation the smell was always pleasant.

Last night I brewed an AHS Dos Equis clone minimash. Tonight my laundry room is quite smelly. I'm certain its not the Whit that's in secondary in the same room. The XX clone is bubbling away but it has been all day. Its almost an acrid sour smell. Is this normal?

.25lb munich
.5lb Crystal 10L
2.5lb 2-Row

3lb Extra Pale LME
2lb Brewer's Corn Syrup

1oz tradition 60
1/4oz hallertau 15
1/4oz hallertau 0

Whitelabs American Pilsner Lager 840

That's what happens when yeast eat Mexican food. :D :ban:

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard that lagers can be quite stinky in the fermentation department.

I just did my first wheat beer, a dunkelweizen, and that sucker made the basement smell something awful. Some yeasts tend to have more of a funk to them than others.

It happens with certain yeast strains. I had one that literally smelled of rotten eggs! It was like the 3rd beer I had ever brewed and my wife wasn't happy with the hobby I had picked up that night.

The beer turned out great and since then (about a year later) I haven't really experienced anything that nasty. I also use a lot of safal-05 and notty which is probably why.

The smell is dying down some, but I finally placed the smell earlier. It smells like very green bananas, not sweet, but sour/bitterish bananas. My wife gave me the stinkeye, no pun intended, today over smelling up her laundry room. Its fermenting at about 71 degrees.

Back