Critique this please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
Potential recipe for you all to critique:

Batch Size: 5 gal:

9.5lb Marris Otter
1lb 40 L Crystal Malt
2.7 oz Chocolate Malt

Mash 90 min at 154, decending to 150 over 90 min

Hop schedule:
2 oz East Kent Goldings (4.5%) - 60 min
1/2 oz Fuggles (4%) - 30 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.5%) - 5 min

How might this work with a 2 oz hop addition up front and mixing in the fuggles at 30 min?

Sounds ok, I would back down the crystal malt, though, but that's a personal preference thing. If you don't I think you should mash a bit lower, like 150ish or it'll be a bit too sweet for the bitterness (assuming you're going for an ESB) IMO. When I punched the numbers it looks like 1.049 OG and 38.1 IBU. With the 154 mash temp it'll have a full body to it, which is why I'd choose to decrease the crystal to about 3/4 or 1/2 lb. Also, that last hop addition isn't "to style" but I likey...

These are just my thoughts, though, either way it looks like a solid ESB recipe to me.

looks great, but personally, i'd ditch the choc malt and split part of the C40 with dark crystal to make up for the color. i'd prolly move the 30min add to 20mins to get a lil more hop flavor from it.

Back