WLP 051 California V

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgraham602

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Never used it before, but ended up with a vial. I'm guessing I can use in place of 001 Cal Ale? Sounds like it produces similar results, but a bit more body.

I'm looking at brewing Janets Brown Ale...think it'll work for that recipe??

Anyone have experience with 051?

I used it with my Raspberry Wheat. Here is White Labs description http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp051.html
It worked well I think. My OG on the Raspberry Wheat was 1.054 and the FG was 1.013.

Edit: If you read through the testimonials, you will read about a sulfur smell....I had that myself. It did go away.

a sulphury off gas isn't uncommon. Did it turn out ok? Have you made the Raspberry Wheat with 001? I'd be interested to hear how it compared.

I made a series of great beers with it,a very good amber and some good black/brown and regular ipa's. I washed and made a half dozen or so batches with it,all turned out very good. Ill be using that yeast again someday. I think its pretty versatile,havent got too high in the ferm temps to get the fruity esters,so its fairly clean-maybe slightly fruity? I dont know I made pretty hoppy beers with it so...

Im trying wlp060 for the first time which may be a combo of CaliV-( supposivly), cali01, and a lager strain. At least that is what it sounds like it appears to be,they dont really say exactly what 3 strains they use. I just know its a clean specialty strain and am curious about it.

I was inspired by CaliV when I went to a brewery and talked to the brewer and he said they were using this yeast,I did a flight sampler and I really liked almost every one I tried,so I was inspired to try the yeast also the town is Galena and they do use Galena hops and their own Galena grown hops, so I was inspired with that as well, as it turns out I like that hop alot also. After 3 or 4 beers I made with Galena hops. Now Im jonesing for one of those,now Ill have to get one from the basement.
Its a great yeast my conclusion may be that its a little more estery,maybe less attenuative producing a maltier or smoother beer,instead of clean and crisp or dry. I havent even use 01-liquid yeast but many compare it to 05 dry, so Im going with that to compare.

a sulphury off gas isn't uncommon. Did it turn out ok? Have you made the Raspberry Wheat with 001? I'd be interested to hear how it compared.

Well its still Conditioning in the fridge, but i did try it. Not bad, but still tart. Still has a little over a week left in the fridge. I did give 2 of them to a friend of mine and he said they were awesome. I will try it again closer to Christmas.

Nice yeast. I've used it for a bunch of APAs, a couple of Ambers and an Imperial Amber.

For me, sometimes WLP001/1056 is a super attentuator and dries the beer out too much, often going over 80% attentuation even with all malt beers. This one leaves a little more body but is by no means producing a sweet beer. It has a bit more character and drops much brighter.

I have it to use for an IPA in a couple of weeks, but haven't used it in the last year and don't remember if it produced sulphur. That said, I've had a few yeasts produce sulphur over the years and none have had it in the finished beer.

It's sourced from Anchor, so you can try their Liberty Ale to see what you think.

Back