Dry yeast - BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkasi2012

Reaction score
Has anybody used this dry yeast before?
i used it for the first time. Normally I use S-05 or S-04 and a krausen forms and visible fermentation takes place within 12-18 hours.

When I used this yeast I didn't get any activity for 36 hours! There was absolutely no Krausen forming and thought perhaps the yeast was faulty and almost threw my beer out as a result. now after 3 days it's fermenting like crazy.

I brewed another beer on Sunday, with the same yeast, using a different package and so far after almost 20 hours later the same thing is happening - no activity and no krausen forming.

Anyone have experience with this yeast? I almost always get visible fermentation within 12 hours so this is very new to me. both beers have an OG of 1.050. the first beer i rehydrated it, the second beer I pitched it dry.

Look forward to your thoughts.

I just used it for the first time. I brewed on Sunday and when I came home from work on Monday it was chugging along, so it started in less than 24 hours. I will be interested to see how it turns out.

I hope it turns out good, because it would be nice to have another dry yeast in the mix.

Everything you describe has been my experience as well.... It does need a slightly warmer air temp than US05 (3-5 DF). There is no real reason for me to move away from US-05.

I haven't used it but am very interested. The first big thread on BRY-97 had a lot of people noticing long lag times. The package says it flocculates better than other chico strain yeasts, which would be nice.

Trying it for the first time in an amber ale. Rehydrated at 90F for 20 min. and then stirred the yeast into a slurry before pitching. Had krausen forming the next morning and now have 2" of krausen in a 14" open fermenter at 48 hrs.

I was one of the users on the larger thread about this yeast, and although the lag time was longer than I wanted, and the beer seemed to take longer to come into its prime than say, us05 does, this yeast dropped like a rock inside of 2 weeks or so. And when I say drop, I mean the beer (an amber ale) looked absolutely filtered. I'm gonna give this yeast another shot and see how it does with a massively hoppy beer.

Just used this yeast for the first time, and it settled very strangely in the carboy within the first few hours, making the entire carboy look like a 3-layer cake. I didn't see ANY bubbles until a little over 3 days after pitch, when it started with some very fine white bubbles around the rim. Now, a day after (4 total) it looks like any old krausen, chugging away.

I tried not to panic, as I had read this and other threads on BRY-97, but it was certainly strange. I seemed to get the longer end of the timeline that some folks have referred to.

Hoping it drops like a rock, indeed. :D

Back