Amerigas/HD tank exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtVandelay

Reaction score
I'm tired of getting short changed on the amount of propane I'm getting on LP exchanges through home depot's amerigas tank exchange. I have a couple of my own tanks now that I get filled up at the truvalue down the street (get every 4th tank free).

I went to HD to return their tank back since when I first started the exchange, I paid ~$30 or so for a deposit on the tank. I want to return it and get the deposit. I go to HD and the exchange machine is broken so I have a register lady to it for me and she says they don't accept returns. Exchanges only! what? She said I would have to go to a different place that accepts tank returns. But who knows if I'd get a return since my deposit was placed with amerigas.

So right now I'm just keeping the tank. Anybody else have this happen and is this standard policy? How do I ever get my deposit back?

These systems don't work on deposits, you actually purchase the tanks. The tank is yours now, do whatever you want with it.

If we were closer I'd buy it from you. I need a spare.

Around here it's anywhere from $50-$60 to buy a tank.

If you have a Lowes near you, the below link to a coupon will get you $20 off a new full tank of Blue Rhino propane. I went at the weekend. I paid about $53 for a new tank (inc. CA tax). I completed the form and mailed it in with the receipt. I should get a check for $20 back from them. Meaning the full tank cost $33.

http://images.lowes.com/2009/moving/BR-12762HiRes_Rhino_on_the_Move_final.pdf

If you have a Lowes near you, the below link to a coupon will get you $20 off a new full tank of Blue Rhino propane. I went at the weekend. I paid about $53 for a new tank (inc. CA tax). I completed the form and mailed it in with the receipt. I should get a check for $20 back from them. Meaning the full tank cost $33.

Not a bad deal. As long as you don't refill it at HD/Lowes. The tank exchange centers are convenient although at a premium cost that is very well hidden to the uneducated.

Luckily I have an Ace within lazy man walking distance from my house that refills tanks for $16 (this has saved my ass a number of times on brew days) since I discovered this I never do exchanges.

I own three tanks...'cause I'm a ******* and can't remember to get the empty tank filled...and I've NEVER done an exchange. We've got two places on either side of town that refill, and that's my choice. When the oldest tank gets closer to re-inspection, I'll do an exchange.

glenn514:mug:

Damn. Wish I could have taken advantage of this when I bought one full retail 2 weeks ago.

It is a mail in rebate. So if you still have the receipt you can still mail it in for the $20.

There you go. Smart thinking. I'm considering getting a third tank simply based on this deal and the fact that some redundancy would be convenient.

I'm thinking about doing an exchange because I have a tank that came from an exchange that someone gave me that is out of date and people won't fill it anymore. Hope I can trade it in on a new one, then I'll just get that one filled like normal.

Back