first cider and post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danebramaged

Reaction score
Going to start my first cider today. Bought a gallon of apple juice at the farmers market. And have some lavlin 1118 yeast.

ForumRunner_20121105_123044.jpg

Good luck! I started my first batch a little more than a week ago. Should have started with a gallon like you, but I got a bit crazy and went for five.

Again, good luck and prepare for rhino farts!

Nice can't wait. Next time I'll probably do a five gallon batch if it turns out good. Racked to secondary after about two weeks. Now how long before I bottle? It's starting to clear nicely.

Congrats on your first batch. You can bottle it one the bubbles have stopped and the gravity is not going down. I usually check mine after the bubbling had stopped and the gravity has been the same (1.00) for 4 to 7 days. I check it and then seal everything up and check again in a few days. When the gravity is the same at each reading, then I bottle. With the EC 1118 yeast, you are going to get a very dry cider and might want to back sweeten with a non fermentable sweetener before you bottle. But I would taste some first to make sure it is the way you want it to taste.

Thanks for the feed back. Think I'm going to use a different least next batch. What do you recommend? Also do you carb your cider?

danebramaged said:
Thanks for the feed back. Think I'm going to use a different least next batch. What do you recommend? Also do you carb your cider?

You can carb it and keep it sweet if you add some apple juice concentrate (frozen) mix it with your cider and taste to your liking. Bottle and leave it at 70* F for a few days. Crack one open and see if it's where you want it. If your satisfied place your bottles in the fridge. If you don't place in fridge you can have bottle bombs (slightly unlikely):)

Back