My Latest Cooking Kick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreigner

Reaction score
I tend to go on cooking binges (like I do with most other things). In the last 4days I have made -

1: Pot Roast with roasted potatoes, carrots, onions, Rosemary Au jus sauce

2: Beef Stroganoff with egg noodles and a Borscht with Sour Cream.

3: Beef fried steak with fries and roasted zuchinni, garlic, mushrooms. If you don't know what this is its pounded, battered, friend steak smothered in beef gravy.

4: Moules frites. Steamed in my IPA with basil from my garden and cream.

I seem to be doing a round the world sort of thing. I've gone from england to russia to texas to belgium in four days. I'm thinking chinese or something from south america today.

I'm not going anywhere near seviche though.

Anyone have any thoughts?

No orfy mutant duck or hedgehog butties please ;)

If anyone wants my full recipes, just ask!

Food - good.

I have 3 - 1" Porterhouse steaks waiting for the BBQ pit tonight. Oh, yeah, beer too.

I paid $ 9.00 / lb for these. The butcher told me for $ 3.00 / lb, get the sirloin and marinate in meat tenderizer for 3 hours. He did and said they came out great.

Meat is expensive.

.........you said meat (Butthead)

now that you mention the word butcher....I need to find some friends and go in on a cow, and have that boy cut up for all of us, that would be sweet!

Sounds like you've been busy. How about some Pad Thai for tonight's meal?

DaveyBoy said:

I think this is what I am having for dinner. I have made it once, took like 4 hours and some of the authentic ingredients are hard to find not to mention expensive...we will probably go out.

They are pretty good, cool atmosphere. The part that I like the most about it is, well, they server really good beer :D

98EXL said:
I'd totally take the Beef Stroganoff recipe!

1 pound sirloin cut in strips. browned in a very hot pan, still pink in centre, reserved.

fry onions and mushrooms until soft, stir in 1 cup GOOD beef stock (I got a paste, one of the best cooking decisions ever, so versatile, no MSG, etc.) bring to boil, simmer for a few minutes, add 1/2 cup sour cream, and a dash of whiskey or brandy (very important to overall flavour)

Add resevred beef and simmer 4-6 mins.

Serve w/ egg noodles. It was mighty delicious I'll tell ya!

I would highly recommend it. Enjoy. The Borscht was an excellent accompanyment.

DaveyBoy said:

I've been so busy I didn't even notice that this thread has continued!

Yesterday I brewed 2 beers, well a 10G batch split in 2 with some crystal 60 added to one half. The base of the recipe was pretty much edworts house pale with a little munich thrown in.

But...BACK TO THE FOOD - My woman has been complaining that she wants some thai food. I am however, a little hostile to the idea of pad thai. Had to say why, maybe because I've had one too many awful ketchupy versions, if you know what I mean.

Here what I made instead - turned out quite well.

Beef Satay with Spicy peanut sauce and coconut veggie rice.

beef - 1# sirloin cut against the grain into 1/4 - 1/2 thick long slices.
marinated in 1/2C coconut milk, 1tblsp brown sugar, 1 tblsp soy sauce, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2onion, 3cloves garlice, all blended together until smooth.

Marinate at rm temp for an hour, skewer them and put directly under a really hot broiler 2-3 mins per side, until brown. Delicious! A word of warning though, the skewers WILL burn.

The peanut sauce is what makes the dish. 1/2c coconut milk, 1/4c good quality peanut butter ( I like chunky), dash brown sugar, dash fish sauce, dash soy sauce.
Simmer with 1/4c hot water, bring to boil until thickened, serve warm.

The rice was just mixed w stir fried asian veggies and a dash of coconut milk added after.

Enjoy. I would make this again and my woman was very excited!

DaveyBoy said:

If you want awesome noodles try some malay style. Char Kuay Teow. My favorite noodle dish ever. cooked until almost burnt. The burn is essential to the overall flavour!

Hmm, perhaps this is the next thing to come....

Or maybe some pan-seared duck breast with black currants or something...

Back