Kegging Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint George

Reaction score
I am very interested in starting to keg my beer, however I am not ready to accomidate another fridge. Is it possible and would it make sense to.......... prime my beer in a keg, keep it at room temp, draw off to a growler for refridgeration (or quick chill in the freezer) as I work my way through what has been kegged?? What would I need to consider with this proposed practice?

Thanks for your input!!

George
Bradenton, FL

Sorry, kegging starts with having a spare fridge. You can ice a keg for temporary mobile serving, but it's not practical for 2 pints a night. Even if you naturally carb in the keg, you'll also need CO2 to dispense with because after a few pints, you'll start to lose carbonation.

Most of my kegs sit in a conditioning cabinet and I'll give them a hit of CO2 and draw pint in a chilled mug. Doesn't work if you prefer high carbonation levels. Most of what I make does well without. You would have the same problem using a growler. You're filling it with warm brew, then chilling. It would be dead flat.

Back