tried to save; may have failed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2brew1cup

Reaction score
In the fermentation of my hefeweizen the foam had worked its way into the blow off tube ( bubbler ) and i feared that the container my have been compromise. In an attempt to solve this is siphoned it into a new 5 gal contain. Before transfer i still had bubbles in my water bottle. Now i have none but fermention is still visable. Is this a problem or is it not a big deal. I took a gravity sample and it was at 1.030. Also this is now 5 days since i began. So what do you think?? Could i simple have reached the " burning ember stage"?

underground and under the influence

ForumRunner_20110913_082213.jpg

That's why the blow off tube is normally in place...to have a place for all that foam to go. I would have left it alone. Sounds like you are still okay.

So the foam wont cause bacteria to grow if its in there?

The foam is called krausen, and it's normal to have a lot of it with wheat beers. A lot of people replace the airlock with what is called a blow off tube when fermentation is heavy like you're experiencing. After a day or two it most likely would have subsided and you could have cleaned your airlock and been in the clear. There's a lot of co2 coming out of the brew so no nasties can get in..

I'm not sure if anything negative will result from siphoning a beer to another fermenter during peak fermentation. Next time let it be, it will be fine. The yeast know what they're doing ha.

It happens all the time....It means you have active fermentation...You probably cause more damage, or at least put your beer at more risk by trying to "fix" something that wasn't broken...you should have looked on here or posted BEFORE you tried to rack it. We would have told you just to clean the mess, resantiize the lid and put on a blowoff tube.

we've all had complete bucket blowoffs, where the lid flies off, and our beers survive. Your beer is protected by a layer of co2.

Watch these videos of one of my beers...that came out fine. Next time clean up your mess and rig up a blowoff tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with knifefight...I think you really need to spend some time reading How To Brew as well as some of the stickeys on here and the threads that pretty much get repeated several times a day, like "I have a blowoff" or "foam's coming out my airlock." you would have found the answers you need.

It sounds like your beer was in full krausen. Did you transfer most of the yeast cake at the bottom of the original bucket? If so you should be okay. If you just took the top, before the fermentation was finished, you will still have beer. What it will taste like is questionable.

Again the blowoff tube is to let the foam have a place to go. Otherwise it will blow through the airlock and make a mess. The end of the tube should be in a container of sanitized water. Keep it below the top of your fermenter so it will not siphon the water back into your fermenter. I have one going now and changed the water container twice before it stopped flowing. I topped off too high for my Better Bottle.

I transfered all matter inside. And the 2nd bucket was cleaned. The photo i posted was it already crossed over. Seems fine. Gravity is good. Smells like banana heaven already. Thanks for the reassurance i think im in the clear too.

Back