Sierra Nevada 30th Fritz & Ken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1200rsvt

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have any ideas on a starting point for a recipe of a stout similar to Sierra Nevada's 30th Anniversary Fritz & Ken Imperial Stout?

I had a taste of it last night at a Sierra Nevada 30th party at a local bar and loved it, but unfortunately I haven't found any more in my area for further tasting.

Thanks. :mug:

Good luck. I'll bump this, because I should have picked up 2 bottles back when I had the chance.

I would think that the reciped would be fairly uncomplicated, that seems to be how SN does things. I would send them an email and see what they say, I have a couple friends who have done that, and SN has been very open about their recipes. I imagine they would give you a basic list of ingredients and then leave the rest up to your creativity. It's definitely an outstanding beer, I was lucky enough to pick up 3 bottles to lay down over the next few years.:ban::mug:

I would think that the reciped would be fairly uncomplicated, that seems to be how SN does things. I would send them an email and see what they say, I have a couple friends who have done that, and SN has been very open about their recipes. I imagine they would give you a basic list of ingredients and then leave the rest up to your creativity. It's definitely an outstanding beer, I was lucky enough to pick up 3 bottles to lay down over the next few years.:ban::mug:

i have a few bottles of this and their 30th barley wine. They're coming dec. 10 to the place I get my beers. I'll record it and let you know what's up. Cause they're supposed to show what they use, malts, hops and how they made it.

Yankee - I sent them an email this morning to congratulate them on 30 years and see if they would give me any direction. So hopefully I will hear something from that.

Jourelemode - That would be great. Any information I can get would be great.

I wish I had known about this beer earlier so I could have stock piled a few bottles. One of our local beer place mentioned having all four 30ths coming out of their Beer Cave soon so I am hoping they are sitting on some and I might have a shot at being able to pick up a couple. Although I called last night and all they mentioned having was Brewers Reserve.

Thanks so far...:mug:

I gotta say, as a series of one-offs, never to be brewed again (presumably), I see no reason why brewers, not just SN, but others who offer one-time-only beers, wouldn't be helpful in giving homebrewers clone recipes. Unless the beers are so popular that the brewers decide to make it a regular.

Not the worst necropost I've seen, but apologies regardless. Anyone had any success with tracking down a base/clone recipe for this? I just cracked one of my cellared bottles last night and have determined that I'm going to be wanting far more than my current supply will allow.

I'm considering working from the Pastor's Unorthodox Stout as a starting template, but figured it'd be nice if I knew I was at least in the right ballpark before starting a series of experimental stouts.

If anyone else is still interested, I contacted SN directly and they were kind enough to provide the actual recipe for the stout. I've got an email back to them to verify that they won't mind if I post it up (although I can't imagine it'd be a problem, I figure it can't hurt to make sure). In the meantime, PM me if you are interested and I'll send it along.

· Malts:

o Pale 2-row: 40%

o Wheat: 9.5%

o Smoked: 3%

o Caramel (60L): 6%

o Pilsner Malt: 33%

o Carafa III: 2.5%

o Chocolate Malt: 3.5%

o Roasted Barley: 2.5%

· Mash at 152

· Original Gravity: 23.4 Plato

· Ending Gravity: 6.9