Any advice on adding oak chips in my pear-apple cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsochist

Reaction score
I have a cyser that i made and I'm about to add some pears to it. I was wondering about putting oak chips to it and what anyones results with oak chips (what kind of oak too) might have been with any mead variant or cyser. This is my third brew of anything alcoholic. my recipe 15 lbs of honey 5 gal H2O and two gallons of cider and three yellow delicious apples. I was gonna mash up and top it off with pears once the pears ripen.

Not much to say about what type of oak to use (if I were you, I'd look up the different flavor profiles of each and decide what sounds most fitting; those descriptions are pretty accurate), but I would suggest you use oak cubes instead of chips. The cubes allow for slower extraction of the oak flavor, and thus more depth of flavor.

Hmm, I had thought this step was for sanitation purposes. This would explain why my "moderate" oaking came out so strong the first time.

Back