Making an offer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedimac

Reaction score
A friend just sent me a few pics. She's getting out of brewing, and offered me to purchase her equipment. I'm currently doing extract batches (2 gallon boils, top up to 5 gallons), and have been wanting to get into all grain. I have no idea what to offer her for everything. Trying to get an idea of a fair price to offer.

5 - 5 gallon cornies
3 carboys (6 and 5 gallon)
30 and 38 qt brewpot
wort chiller
burner (unknown specs)

30 38 Qt Brew Pots.jpg

The cornies are worth about $30-40 apiece. They are of no value to you without a co2 tank and regulator, though. But you could either keep them or sell them to someone else.

The carboys are worth maybe $20 each, but not something I'd want.

The wort chiller, with no leaks, is worth about $40.

The burner is hard to say- it looks fine but I can't tell from the picture.

The brewpots look pretty good, but again, it's hard to say from the picture. I see a ball valve, and that's great.

Quick math -
Cornies go for around 40-50 bucks used, so let's say $40 x 5 = $200.
Glass carboys are around 25-30 bucks, so $25 x 3 = $75.
Not sure how much those brewpots are worth, but brand new there are each at least $100 I bet. I see that at least one of them has a valve.
Chiller is probably worth $50, same thing with the burner.

So if I did my math right, your friend could probably get $500+ for everything, but if she is a friend maybe you she'll cut you a deal for somewhere between $300-400. If you get it for $200 then I'll be jealous.

I wouldn't low-ball a friend. I'd probably offer $300 and know that I got a very nice deal on it. All the glass and SS items will not lose value as time goes forward.

It's not low balling on used stuff. To many folks demand top dollar for things they paid 50 bucks for 10 years ago. Used is used.

is it worth pissing off a friend by low balling them? Yeah, used is used. Those kegs were bought used probably before they got up to the 50 dollar mark for current used ones. And tell me the difference between a properly cleaned used carboy, and a brand new one (other than one comes in a box and the other doesn't). And those all have handles on them too. Same thing goes with a stainless steel pot, unless it's got dings in it. Otherwise, you're not paying tax on it, so who cares if it's spotless and you're trying to get close to what you paid for it?

I agree, $400 bucks would be a sweet deal, $200 - $250 would be taking advantage of a friend and a jerk move all around.

If it's a friend, maybe $$ isn't the issue. I would give that stuff to a friend for cheap and the promise of future beers. I "gave" a friend my extra 15g kettle and another a wort chiller and 4 cases of clean, de-labeled bottles. I could have probably sold them on CL, but not for a continuous supply of homebrews! Friends give friends deals that you can't get in classifieds.

To many folks demand top dollar for things they paid 50 bucks for 10 years ago. Used is used.

Like @Yooper said, those cornies alone are worth at LEAST $30/each, used or no. That right there is $150. Couple that with the rest of the gear on offer and anyone who thinks $200-$250 is a fair price probably has a bridge to sell ya too.

Just because she is a friend doesn't mean you have to purchase it for exactly market value and not get a good deal. Offer what you want to pay for it and if its too low, she doesn't have to sell it to you.

I would offer $300 if it's stuff you want.

The prices vary with where you are ( as I see on here )
The kegs are hard to find for less than $50 each around here. Carboys go $30 and $36 at my local brew store.
The chiller is $100 plus. Pans at least $150 - $200 for the pair. Someone said the burner was $98.
Depending on what you want out of that stuff, it would cost you $600 or more to put it together. If there is a CO2 bottle and regulator, that's more on top of that price.

Figure out what actually matters to you out of that and see what you want to order.
A person would be ready to go with that setup if you added a 10 gallon mash tun, some buckets, starsan and airlocks.

The cornies will go like mad on CL at $40-50 IF they are not beat to hell and smell of rootbeer. Like yooper pointed out with a tank, regulator, line, faucet and a way to chill them they are not needed for all grain.

The pots are about 100 ea if the are SS, WAY less if aluminum.

The chiller? That is an old (looks home made) copper wort chiller and you have no Idea if it leaks. I would say hook it up and see. If it works I would offer $20 for it, because it needs cleaned and it is used.

The burner is also subjective. Is it a tipped jet burner or is it some cheapo in there? Was there a boil over and it is now plugged tight with burned on wort? Cant tell.

All the carboys are nice but not overly expensive used. $10-20 is pretty standard garage sale price for one.

If this was me, I would be a pal and help her sell the cornies. Then I would offer up $175 for what was left. You will want the pots, the burner and whatever of the largest of the carboys you have room for. If she doesn't like that plan then offer up $300 for the lot and store the kegs until you need them.

That's pretty much what I was thinkin Z. Condition is important to actual value. Yes,this is a friend to the op. But paying a high dollar amount is a deal for them,not him. I couldn't afford to pay $400-$500 dollars,only saving about $100. Might as well buy new at that point.
Just all about haggling to get a good price that's close to what the person realisitically thought to get. Not necessarilly what was listed.

Back