Bottleing is done...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpappilli

Reaction score
That was a mission, but fun. My kit says let the bottles sit in an area of about 72 degrees for 9 days, then in 60 to 55 degrees for two weeks before refrigerating. Can somebody explain to be why this needs to happen for my knowledge as the instructions dosnt really give a good explanation. :mug:

Never heard of that one. I just condition them at 70F for 3-4 weeks. Or more for higher gravity beers. Then 1-2 weeks fridge time.

That was a mission, but fun. My kit says let the bottles sit in an area of about 72 degrees for 9 days, then in 60 to 55 degrees for two weeks before refrigerating. Can somebody explain to be why this needs to happen for my knowledge as the instructions dosnt really give a good explanation. :mug:

I'd not drop the temperature to 55-60 degrees for at least two more weeks. The beers won't continue to carbonate at a low temperature. It might be fine if the are fully carbed, but I'd keep them at 70 degrees for three weeks before cellaring or drinking them.

The temperature isnt that important, as long as its not at an extreme...if you hold it 60-75 for a month you'll be fine...then put it in the fridge for a week at least.

You need the warmer temperatures for the yeast to get back to work and consume the new sugar to produce CO2. You then lower the temperature because cold liquids absorb CO2 much better. Thats the general reason i think they tell you to lower it after a few weeks, but honestly if you keep it at room temp and then in the fridge long enough it will perform the same thing.

I keep all of mine at room temp, and just put a few in the fridge that morning to drink after work and let all the others just sit out....Just me.......

Back