Primary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerOfDoom

Reaction score
Was at "high krausen" at 24 hours and after 48 the krausen is starting to fall and activity(convection) in the carboy has slowed but the airlock continues at about 1 bubble a sec. Used a starter and the temp has been between 70-72, Irish Red Ale. Is this a problem. Seems kind of fast.

seems fine. it'll probably continue to bubble for a few more days. I often see a 4 or 5 day total ferment.

I have seen then go in less than 48 hours.
I have seen them take as long as 14 days.

Each batch will be different, but you are on the high end of the temp range, so things could certainly be happening at an accelerated pace, but all it probably OK.

gotta go. my grains are done steeping!

-walker

Is the amount of krausen proportional to the expected ABV? I have my most potent brew to date going. Expecting 19% and loads of krausen.

The amount of krausen is a measure of how fast a fermentation is starting and the yeast are working on the easy stuff. It's not really any indication of potential ABV.

In that case I have some really healthy and hungry yeasts. They're after a 19% ABV which is no small task. I used a dry yeast, Redstar Cuvee, a wine yeast. Lots of blackberry honey too.:D

Back