Klosch Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapingbuddha

Reaction score
We made a Klosch about 6 weeks ago. My apprentice likes the taste but to me it has a cidery flavor and smell. Is this the way a klosch should be. Also went to a bar the other day to test drive some of the new to me sour beers that some are raving about. Not for me. Couldnt wait to get to the next IIPA. Our all-grain set-up is just about on line. YEA!!!!!!

It really depends on the yeast and fermentation conditions. I've gotten a subtle green apple character in each kolsch I've made but certainly nothing "cidery". For the record, I ferment with Wyeast 2565 at around 60F.

Recently made a kolsch with the Wyeast, fermented at around 62F, and it's perfectly clean like a lager. Heck if I didn't know better I'd say it's a lager. Very crisp and clean with no unpleasant smells or flavors. Certainly nothing resembling cider.

I have used wlp029 a lot for kolsch, it throws a lot of apple when fermented too warm, if you can keep it below 65, it is super clean. I also recently used it in a brown and was very pleased with it. Kolsch is a tough style to brew well. Good luck...wnc

Kolsch is a staple beer that I make all the time because my friends love it so much. I have never had a cidery taste in any of the batches I've done.

Is it particularly highly carbonated? Carbonic acid from overcarbonation could be described by some as an apple-y flavor and smell.

I've never had a Klosch ;)

Buuut, a Kolsch fermented too warm could turn a tad cidery, I suppose

To me, cidery usually means the beer was taken off the yeast too soon. I have never used this yeast before, but when I use lager yeast or ferment ale yeast cold, I leave the beer on the yeast longer. This allows the yeast to "clean up" any off flavors from the fermentation.

As mentioned, it can also be from too high a fermentation temp with some yeasts or infection.

If the taste fades when the beer has been stored at room temp, it is most likely incomplete fermentation. If it gets worse, it in most likely infection.

Recently made a kolsch with the Wyeast, fermented at around 62F, and it's perfectly clean like a lager. Heck if I didn't know better I'd say it's a lager. Very crisp and clean with no unpleasant smells or flavors. Certainly nothing resembling cider.

Same with me.... I brewed one three months ago and it is one of the best beers I have ever made.

I think it was two weeks in the fermentation chamber 60

2 days D-Rest at room tempo and then lagers at about 35

2 weeks lagering

All in buckets and then kegged.

DPB

This is summer and we are getting our Brew Barn together. Probably the temp. was too high. Way too high. Thanks. I will watch the bottles for an infection. Anyway the apprentice loves it.

leapingbuddha said:
This is summer and we are getting our Brew Barn together. Probably the temp. was too high. Way too high. Thanks. I will watch the bottles for an infection. Anyway the apprentice loves it.

Too high for 029 is 66F+... my opinion ;)

Back