Im ready to try kegging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwatts4200

Reaction score
Christmas is around the corner and I'm thinking of asking the wife for kegging gear... What are the basics I will need and what do you think it will run cost wise? I will also need a kegarator but that will be the simple part.

I've looked around on varius websites for kegging kits and such, and from what I can tell they generally are all pretty comparable price wise. About $300 for a 2 keg system set up with 2 through the fridge door faucets. Others talk about finding kegs and things on CL on the cheap, but I've never seen those deals. Just google homebrew kegging. You'll find all kinds of places that deal keg systems.

I just ordered my first keg system from keg connection, they are haveing a black friday sale with free shipping. You should check them out. I cant wait to start kegging, im so tired of bottleing.

minimum you need:

1 C02 cylinder
1 Regulator
1 Manifold (plan early here with the amount of lines you think you'll need and get adjustable check valves for each line)
1 Gas line with disconnects
1 Corny keg (you choose Pin-lock or Ball-lock)
1 Beverage line with disconnects (get the right beverage line from the start. Vinyl tubing gives off a plastic taste to the beer that sits in the lines for more than 15 minutes or so. I have Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra 3/16'' lines and they are the best. I've left beer in the lines for 2 weeks with not a single bit of plastic flavor coming through. With some work you can fit them over 1/4'' barbs too. Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra Barrier Tubing 3/16" ID - 100ft - FREE SHIPPING - Birdman Brewing Company Store
I use 20 ft. per tap at about 14 psi and the flow is perfect.
See: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer-line-tests-solution-plastic-taste-60380/)
1 Tap and however you want to set it up. I use Perlick SS faucets. They are awesome, but expensive.
1 Keezer

Price wise, i don't really know, i haven't checked prices lately. I'm sure it won't be too bad though. Really depends where you get everything, if you get it used, etc.

You can begin with the equipment Jwood listed. As far as a keezer is concerned, I just picked up a used mini frig. Used it and a picnic tap for some time. Then I purchased another five lb CO2 tank and regulator. I knew I would want to condition my kegs separately from my serving system.

Recently I acquired a minit frig and converted it to a two tap tower. The old one will serve as a conditioning keezer and my picnic tap will hang out there as well.

I found this on Keg Connection for $179.... Tower Kit with Cornelius/Firestone Keg Includes Chrome Tower, Reconditioned 4# CO2 (empty, FRESH hydro date and NEW valve!), Cornelius/Firestone keg, commercial grade hose,5/16" Red Air Hose and 3/16" beer line, clamps, disconnects, 2 gauge regulator built with an American made body using high quality components with check valved shutoff. Assembled and ready to go!

Now I only need the mini fridge... Is there a better fridge to get or just any CL find will do?

Anyone seen any good post on the basics of kegging? I am about to build my system then want to read up on the correct procedures and co2 level... thanks

image-3133765436.jpg

This one cost me close to a grand when it was all said and done. That included everything. Kegs, temp controller, SS faucets, shanks, CO2 tanks, regulators. It definitely all adds up quick. Well worth it though. Only wish I had put a nitrogen setup in there

Because I love drinking a good stout or British style pub ale on nitrogen vs CO2. Love the thick creamy had and smooth mouthfeel

that thing is fancy! If i had something like that the wife might let me keep it in the kitchen! lol

My wife let me make it after I had a couple bottle bombs in our upstairs closet

good point! Ive yet to have that happen but being that the bottles share a closet with her purses that might change real quick!

I just built my 2 tap keezer and with everything from kegging system, to brand NEW freezer, all materials to build, temp controller, I spent roughly $650 bucks. This is without almost NO previous knowledge and doing my homework from this site. All knowledge was gained here. I have no wood working or electrical skills and was able to build my keezer and temp controller all on my own from this place's AWESOME and knowledgeable members. Use this place, look for deals online, and it can save you a ton of money in the long run. Plus, the DIY factor with family/friends and especially yourself (if you're like me and not too handy but willing to try and get your hands dirty) is freaking rewarding as hell. Good luck!

Kegging system with everything - $130 (this is the only "deal" I really got)
Faucets/Shank conversion - $140
Freezer (7cf GE Black Friday sale) - $160
Collar Materials - $100
Temp controller plus build materials - $75 (The controller was only 25, but I had to buy extra materials)
Misc charges that I may be forgetting - $50

Yeah I have the system in a box up stairs... All I have been reading is the cheapest option in a 4.1ish cu. ft mini fridge. So now I'm on the hunt on my local craigslist and Facebook... I guess its just the waiting game... Patience is a ***** I want it now!!

Just finished building this. It's awesome. A few things I'll tweak as time goes by and the drip tray needs to be added. But otherwise it's just great. So much better than bottling. I have almost forgot how much more expensive it was to out together. I purposely didn't add it all up and got a bunch of the stuff for Christmas. I also got a bunch of the stuff as I was putting together my all grain setup. So now I'm ready to get some serious beer in the pipeline. Kegging is the way to go. Figure out what you can afford and make it happen. Even if it's just putting the beer in kegs and dispensing into a growler you keep in the fridge. It's just so much easier than cleaning and sanitizing two cases of bottles for each batch.

image-4198112518.jpg

Latest posts

Back