Advise for Ordinary bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derogg

Reaction score
Just racked my Ordinary bitter to the keg. I want to keep the volume of CO2 low, for this style right? What is everyone else doing? I was thinking 1 volume, but when I plug this in for my temp (40 F) I am already over the amount of needed PSI. I figure I will just put enough pressure to dispense and leave it at that. What do you all think. Thanks- Dirk

I personally would set it to your normal carbing pressure and just lower it to serving pressure sooner-testing along the way of course. I can't say that I ever calculate the volumes of gas for my kegs, I just go for a rough estimate using my mouth as a gauge(unless I plan on having it judged and wanted to be anal). I just have to keep a close eye once they get close to where I want the carbo., then set it down to serve.

If you want it at 1 volume you'll need to set to the correct pressure. It will just pour more slowly, not that big a deal really. If I might suggest though; 40F is way too cold for an ordinary bitter. If this is the only keg in your kegerator you might want to think about raising the temp to 55F or so (this will also allow you to use a higher PSI which will give you a faster pour).

Thanks for the replies. I know 40 is way to cold, I was planning to let the pint warm up a bit after I poured it( I don't have a dedicated beer fridge ). - Dirk

With only one pressure it can be a PITA. I personally use the set it and forget it rule. I pressurize all my beers the same way. My bitters are more carbonated than the style dictates, and my weizens and belgians are less carbonated than style dictates, but I make do.

I have the keg set at about 4 PSI. I'm going to just play it by taste and adjust as needed. A beer engine and a cellar would be ideal for this style..........
-Dirk

Back