Dried up hops on vine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was walking through the yard today, and just out of curiosity, picked a completely brown, bone dry Chinook hop off a bine (harvested the hops off my bines a month plus ago).

I was wondering what an overripe hop smelled like, if anything.

Much to my surprise, it still smelled resiny, "hoppy" and floral. No cheese, garlic, or onion odor. If it hadn't been for the dead hop leaves, I would have thought this hop totally useable for brewing.

I was mildly surprised. I wonder if I should let my hops ripen more than when I pick them, maybe even until they're a little brown, to maximize acids in them. Are we picking too early when we wait for the leaves to dry / crisp up, should we "let em go" longer?

I am seeking the wisdom and experience of this wonderful group.

Incidentally, I fresh hopped an Imperial American Dark Ale with these hops, just bottled it today, it is wonderfully roasty and hoppy- can't wait for it to carb up.

:mug:

I just grew hops for the 1st time this past season and noticed the same thing. The cascade & nugget that was left on the plants until it was almost completely dead smelled fantastic. Tasted pretty good thrown right into my glass of IPA actually :p

I just grew hops for the 1st time this past season and noticed the same thing. The cascade & nugget that was left on the plants until it was almost completely dead smelled fantastic. Tasted pretty good thrown right into my glass of IPA actually :p

It gave off enough flavor that quickly?
Where are said hops, I'm on my way now.

It gave off enough flavor that quickly?
Where are said hops, I'm on my way now.

Quite gone :cross: and unfortunately my first year hops weren't all that flavorful. Possibly because I'm growing in NC.. I haven't heard a lot of good news about growing hops here. Hopeful next year, once the plants are a lil more mature, I'll get better results. But it was hard to miss the boost from them floating right in the glass for 10-15+ minutes. I bet with older plants it would be a hop heads wet dream :D

Quite gone :cross: and unfortunately my first year hops weren't all that flavorful. Possibly because I'm growing in NC.. I haven't heard a lot of good news about growing hops here. Hopeful next year, once the plants are a lil more mature, I'll get better results. But it was hard to miss the boost from them floating right in the glass for 10-15+ minutes. I bet with older plants it would be a hop heads wet dream :D

You probably already saw this, but check this article out.
http://www.nchomebrewing.com/nc-state-growing-hops-in-nc/

I thought about growing my own hops but knowing that I am sitting on mostly red clay here around the RTP, it seemed like it may not work unless I set up a box and really gave the plants the best possible soil/conditioner/etc. I think for a home brewer it is hugely possible to grow a small amount of hops if done right. A lot of time will need to be given to the plants and that is where I fall very short. Mostly because they're out of sight and thus out of mind.

I am considering it still all the same. Just for kicks and all.

Back