Cider fermented for 4 weeks, put in secondary, what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymonkey

Reaction score
I followed the guide here for a 1 gallon batch.
http://www.howtomakehardcider.com/

After leaving the cider in the primary for 4 weeks, bubbles stopped forming in the airlock. I transferred over to the secondary carboy. Its been in there for about a week now. The link above says to let it mellow out. I did try a little bit of it, it reminded me of Strongbow but not much apple flavor. Will this improve? Is it possible to add flavoring at this stage? Looking for any suggestions.

Thanks.

You can certainly add additional flavoring now, just realize that if there are any fermentable sugars in what you add, fruit for example, those sugars will ferment. Also, be sure to sanitize anything you add, unless you're adding flavors from extract.

As far as time, more time allows the flavors to meld/mellow a bit. If it's a high ABV cider, the alcohol hotness will fade out and the cider flavor will come forward over time.

What juice/ sugar/ other additives did you use? What yeast? I make apfelwein regularly and let it sit for six months or so before I mess with it.

What juice/ sugar/ other additives did you use? What yeast? I make apfelwein regularly and let it sit for six months or so before I mess with it.

I used Nottingham yeast (think it was an ale yeast, not at home to see), 100% pure apple juice (pasteurized). Nothing else added. This is my first time making cider, so I kept it simple.

Back