Carbing at room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safa

Reaction score
So I have a keg that has a 3 gallon batch of cider sitting in it waiting to be chilled and then back sweetened. Since my fridge hasn't arrived yet (Stupid amazon, 2 day shipping my ass), I was hoping to expedite the process by carbing the cider at room temp, then when the fridge arrives I'd purge the keg, and set my regulator to around 3 volumes of co2 at whatever temp my fridge will end up being at, chill the keg and then back sweeten.

Big question is, can this be done? Im not sure of the science behind it, but according to the carbing chart, lower temp = higher volume of co2 at same psi, so will carbing the keg before throwing it in the fridge result in a vastly overcarbed cider, or is it just the ambient pressure of the co2 that matters?

Maybe I should guess at fridge's rough temperature and carb it to that, so then the cooling of the keg will result in a good level of carbonation?

Apologies if that makes little sense!

So I have a keg that has a 3 gallon batch of cider sitting in it waiting to be chilled and then back sweetened. Since my fridge hasn't arrived yet (Stupid amazon, 2 day shipping my ass), I was hoping to expedite the process by carbing the cider at room temp, then when the fridge arrives I'd purge the keg, and set my regulator to around 3 volumes of co2 at whatever temp my fridge will end up being at, chill the keg and then back sweeten.

Big question is, can this be done? Im not sure of the science behind it, but according to the carbing chart, lower temp = higher volume of co2 at same psi, so will carbing the keg before throwing it in the fridge result in a vastly overcarbed cider, or is it just the ambient pressure of the co2 that matters?

Maybe I should guess at fridge's rough temperature and carb it to that, so then the cooling of the keg will result in a good level of carbonation?

Apologies if that makes little sense!

You can either add priming sugar, or use your co2 tank and regulator. Either way would work fine. When you carb it at room temperature, the co2 will be at a higher pressure than fridge temperature, but it you carb to, say, 2.5 volumes of co2, it will stay 2.5 volumes of co2 in the fridge also. You can't overcarb it, just by doing it at room temperature.

I hope that helps!

Back